Kodak NC film going away

bryan_kraai

• 2 weeks later...

<p>The new Portra is indeed a middle ground between NC and VC. I got a preproduction roll on the 35mm stuff from my friend Steve at <a href="http://www.figitalrevolution.com">www.figitalrevolution.com</a>, and it looks like it has the contrast of the NC, and the saturation of the VC. Grain and tonal range is better than either. Story goes that it's the same film stock Spielberg and Scorcese are using, and Kodak combined the two lines to keep costs down and to avoid being put in a position where they might need to cut still film production. </p>

<p>I've been printing Portra NC with a B&W condenser enlarger for some time, and this new film does great there too. I'm sorry I don't have scans to show - I sort of figure scanning prints doesn't really prove anything, since the quality is dependent on my crappy flatbed. That said, if you're a zone system user and/or prefer a moderate contrast print, I assure you you'll love the new Portra. If you like a contrasty print, you might want to switch to a slightly higher graded paper.</p>