Bronica GS-1 Speed Grip

jim_peterson2

<p>I recently found a speed grip for my GS-1 in beautiful condition for something like $25. (Now if only I could find some cheap lenses!) The instructions say that the folding winding lever on the body needs to be removed and replaced with the protective cap when using the speed grip. I see why they say this because in the folded position the lever hits the neck strap lug when winding. But in reality the lever is designed in such a way that it spins freely counter clockwise, so in practice, when the lever hits the neck strap lug I think you can still wind with the speed grip and advance the film. Granted, I haven't tried this with film in the back since I don't have any lenses yet, but it seemed like it should work. <br>

Am I right? If so, does the manufacturer tell us to remove the lever simply to reduce wear and tear? The reason I'm asking is because the speed grip I got didn't come with the little protective cap that is attached to the body when the winding lever is removed so I am hesitant to use the camera without anything covering that area. It looks rather sensitive to dust or other foreign particles.</p>

<p>I think those little caps are rarer then hen's teeth. I've seen many speed grips used and none of them come with the cap! I agree that the winding mechanism looks fragile without the winding lever and you are indeed correct that the lug will hit the handle and it will spin in place when you wind the film. I've used it like this since I've gotten the speed grip with no problems yet.</p>