how long to let a client decide to make a purchase

<p>Been having success with high school senior portraits. One concern I have is the amount of time it takes from taking the pictures to getting an actual order. I feel the clients are satisfied and do like my work, which they have told me but seems that makes the decicion process harder, according to them. Here is the way I work and I am open to suggestions. On a typical sr session I take about 80-100 pictures. I then head back home/studio (I am not a pro, have a full time job) I kick out the ones I feel are unacceptable for what ever reason. That usually get the number down to 30-50. I do about 90% of the post processing of those images and put them on my wsite, in a gallery for them and other to view. I do get a sitting fee and they have signed a contract with pricing prior to doing anything. I would say the average time after the files is in the gallery to an actual order is 2 months, and I just think that is too long. One think I am considering is not putting the files on the web, instead, having proofs made, put into a book, and charge for them to take that proof book out of my studio. Let's say $100. If they don't return the book with in 2 weeks they lose the $100, but if they do return the book and place the order, the $100 goes toward that order. Anyway I am still working on what I really want to do but am very open to here some suggestions. Thanks.</p>

<p>Also, do you do follow-up calls after posting the images? You never mentioned that, nor did you mention how long it takes you to post the images after the shoot. One thing you want to keep going is the conversation and the excitement. That takes follow-up and fast turnarounds. As said in previous post, a financial inducement might not hurt either.</p>

<p>I only do in-home consultations as soon after the session as possible (sometimes in the same day or more often within a week of the session). I ask that clients make all decisions while I'm there at the design consultation. I don't proof before selling the images. Clients make much higher purchases closest to the shoot. Only ones purchased are proofed and shown online. I NEVER leave the images with them to decide or allow them to purchase online. My sales average is $2,300 and I keep my time very well in check. Hope this helps.</p>

<p>:) Karen Lippowiths</p>

<p>Karen does it the right way. I used to do a mixture of in-home showings, and I also had a vewing room in the studio....nice couches, coffee, etc,.<br>

I think you are showing too many images as well.....pick only the very best, and make the viewing/ ordering experience an attractive experience in its own right.....<br>

Also, a pre-session consultation goes a long way to enable you to design the shoot with the clients tastes in mind ....and that results in better sales figures too.....regards, Robert</p>

<p>One does not know what state you are in, but anyone (generally) under 18 years of age can't sign a contract. That said, once you put the images on the Internet, the kids (high school seniors) will just spend time looking at the images. Buying them <em>will take funds</em> from Mom and Dad....</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Paul:</p>

<p>During an in-home design consultation, I bring a rolling suitcase of sample products (too numerous and detailed to list here), my screen and projector OR my MacBook Pro (depending on when and where I'm working), and for a full session, about 35 UNEDITED images that have been culled in Aperture, loaded into ProSelect, and integrated into 5-10 storyboard designs or other design elements (a sample album cover if the client indicates they might want an album). I spend about 45 minutes to get images from the camera to the client. If the client purchases the image, THEN I proof it for whatever use (canvas, print, album, etc.). If a particular image is not purchased, it's purged one week following the design consultation when we close the order and I send everything off to the lab (I give clients a week to add to the order and for family and friends to view the purchased proofs online).</p>

<p>This system has worked very well. On average, clients work with 6-10 images (when they're not doing an album), so the amount of time I spend proofing images is minimal. Gone are the days of spending countless hours in front of the computer proofing with the HOPE that the client will purchase an image. This efficient use of time maximizes PROFIT, which after all is the name of the game, and has allowed me to have a LIFE!</p>

<p>I hope that was helpful. Have fun and good luck :)</p>

<p>Karen Lippowiths</p>

<p>So for unproofed images you might just make a couple of alterations such as brightness/contrast if required, no curves? and no sharpening? from RAW?<br>

Do all clients understand how much better their images will look after proofing? I would have thought they might lack the wow effect SOOC in some cases.<br>

Thanks<br>

Paul</p>

<p>Paul: </p>

<p>That's exactly right. I might adjust exposure or color balance or anything that prevents the client (and more likely, me) from throwing up when they see the image. Nothing more than that. When clients book me, they've seen the finished product -- either they're working with me on referral from another client or they came to me via my web site. Either way, they know my work (and I always ask just to be sure they understand my style and what I do). Of course, when I begin the design consultation, I reassure them that we're only half-way there to a beautiful finished print / canvas.</p>

<p>When I first started doing sales this way, I was terrified I wouldn't sell a thing. The opposite happened . . . clients told me they couldn't tell the difference between A and B. After I go over the bruised ego, I let myself off the hook of hundreds of hours of needless work. I can't imagine going back to the old way again . . . </p>

<p>Happy Thanksgiving and good luck :)<br>

<br /><br />Karen Lippowiths </p>

<p>R.A. -You're not offering your clients any incentive or even a reason to order sooner vs. later, so why should they? If you leave everything in your clients' control, they will order in their own time frame, not yours. Giving them a set of proofs (even with a charge) doesn't help the process because you're still waiting for them and they are in control. You also know that regardless of when they return those proofs, you will give them full credit toward their order, so all you've done is increased your cost per customer.<br>

My suggestion is that you have a viewing/ordering appointment, preferable at your location if that works. If not, do it at theirs. If they finalize and pay for their order, there is an incentive like a discount, some free wallets or whatever you'd like to offer.<br>

If they want more time, don't push them, just offer them a second appointment a week later with NO incentive because it's more of your time. Under NO circumstances should you post images or send ANYTHING home with them.<br>

Trust me, from years of experience, you will get orders in a timely fashion and they will be larger orders. If you break the rules using this method, the news will spread. Everyone likes to brag that they got away with something and no matter how they promise, they won't keep your secret. Stick to your guns and you'll have larger orders and your customer will have their portraits quickly. That's the news you want them to spread....-TED :-)</p>