Manual focus with adaptor and Lumix G 2

machts gut

<p>Right now there is a cash back offer over 10 Euro for the G 2 and I was thinking about selling my Canon 400D and getting the Panasonic. IQ of the Canon is really good, but I never liked the handling of the body, the finder is really a nuissance and focusing with my OM-lenses is more try and error.<br>

Today I laid my hands on the G 2 in a shop and I must say, I was really impressed by the finder. Also took the GF-1 in my hands. It's not significantly smaller, the EVF is not as good and it's even more expensive. What I found really helpful was the "auto loupe function" in manual focus mode. If you turn the focus ring the finder magnifies the image automatically and focussing is really easy.<br>

My question is, if this also works when I use an adaptor with MF lenses or do I have to select this function via menue?<br>

Thanks, Stefan</p>

<p>Unfortunately the magnification won't be activated automatically because there is no way for the camera to detect the movement of the focusing ring on a manual lens (no means for the communication between the camera body and the lens). However, you CAN use the magnification function by activating it manually.</p>

<p>Interesting. My default with a manual ED Zuiko lens is with the magnification of center portion. I can' t recall how it worked when I fooled with FD lenses, the analog to your OM glass..I turned the durn thing off very soon via menu. Why, because I did not need to get in that close to focus on my target. EVF works sharp enough to get overall feel, and not just center feel... Or else I was not getting that critical, who knows.<br>

Anyway, some people find the feature a nice adjunct. Alway nice to be able to override via menu or add via menu. As I did, delete same. Having a screen pop up in my face was perhaps disorienting. First I look at composition, then focus, so I needed the whole scene to look at... Who knows,ideopathic..</p>

<p>Stefan I am sure it is ... although activation of the EVF magnification is quick to do and results in even better images.</p>

<p>Certainly it is focus which makes the biggest difference between cameras and the G1 and 2 are great here.</p>

<p><a title="twoTawnys by aquinas_56, on Flickr" href=" twoTawnys src="http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5041/5193695443_b416da9f13.jpg" alt="twoTawnys" width="375" height="500" /></a></p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I use a G2 with 28mm, 50mm and 70-210mm Canon Fd lenses. Works great. The magnified view is essential when I use the 70-210mm because at 210mm @ F4 the DOF is tiny. I believe I can focus just as accurately as I can when the lens is mounted on my T90. The touch-screen LCD is extremely useful also, more than just a gimmick.</p>