Another Nikon GAS Attack

rogerwb

<p>First, for the dates of manufacture of Nikon F serial numbers in general, go to http://www.destoutz.ch/typ_production_data_f.html . It should be noted that the old canard about the serial numbers incorporating the production date is simply an out and out mistake based on coincidence. (Yet another of Ivor Matanle's "contributions" to camera history).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>How many of today's <em>digital</em> cameras will be around 45 years from now and still taking great pictures? Answer.......<em><strong>ZERO</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Oh Scott, not again........ If it turns out to be true, it will probably be because the media (CF or whatever) are unavailable, and in 45 years you might well have a hard time finding film too.</p>

<p>Love film, I certainly do, but why does that have to lead to unprovoked attacks on digital? Did one of the other kids taunt you for still using film and you're insecure about your choice?</p>

<p>I'll tell you what, in 45 years I'll meet you here again and we shall settle the matter. Say a shiny, brand-new 1 dollar coin for who's right? ;)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>By the way, I think that your Photomic head is the first of the breed, introduced in 1962. It was not TTL, as the outside lens shows. It was preceded by a selenium cell clip on, and the first TTL meter was the Photomic T, of 1965, I think. <br>

It has always interested me that the "prong" on the Nikkor lenses was there from the beginning, even though at first it had no function that I know of. Clearly Nikon was planning ahead.</p><div>00Xiqf-304423684.jpg.33de9178541637310e56012e1b8256dc.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks, Les.<br /> Yes. I had thought that was probably where the 'thinking ahead' was going, although I don't think the selenium meter was available at the very beginning. However, if the 1959 date at the 'de Stoutz' site is correct, it was certainly very soon thereafter. I had thought it was a year or so later, like the similar, but CdS, Honeywell clip-on meter.</p>

<p>I'd also guess that, in another 45 years, the woes you list for the digital cameras will also see analogous wearing out of parts on film cameras, too. Time (and age) conquers all. I also think (in my capacity as a professional archaeologist) that you are overestimating the time it will take for the parts to deteriorate to the degree you imply. I think that a Moon Pie™ will probably last 45 years. Certainly old cloth shutters from my Prakticas have lasted longer. You may be right about the LCDs, however. Lots of my <em>film</em> cameras have LCDs too. :o</p>

<p>Come on, people, my two early '70s FTN meters both work fine. Of course, I had them cleaned and adjusted to use 1.55 volt batteries about ten years ago. There are repair shops that can fix those things for you. I've even got an F36 motor that, according to the serial number, was built in late '59 or early '60, much earlier than any of my F bodies; it runs fine too. Have fun with your F!</p>

<p>I did not mean that the meter was <em>designed</em> after the prong, although the later Photomic meters surely were. I just meant that I didn't, and still don't, think that it was available immediately as the F was introduced. In the earlier ads and in the announcements from the time, there was no mention of the meter.</p>