OM-4 TTL with Sunpak 30DX

nat_pelson

<p>I just put a Sunpak 30DX ( with the OT-1D module ) on my amazing OM-4 but the TTL doesn't seem to be working right. I have the flash mode set to it's "star" setting and the OM set to "auto" ( the OM sets itself to 60 but shooting without film gets me an under or over exposure in the viewfinder except with one or two apertures. Shouldn't I be able to shoot with almost any aperture?</p>

<p>Not really sure what is going on but in theory it should be just a case of adding the flash, setting the camera to 1/60 and shoot away at any exposure based on your meter readings. My OM4 works rather well with a very basic Practika BD4 TTL flash and never caused any problems.</p>

<p>How do you know you're exposure is out from the viewfinder readout? Remember that the OM-4 monitors TTL flash exposure from light reflecting off the film during exposure. In your case, the camera is measuring light bouncing off the pressure plate, which isn't the same thing. Put some film in there and see how it does. Remember also that at 1/60 sec, the ambient light will be making a significant contribution to the exposure at anything but dim conditions or at small apertures. Could this be throwing off your exposure?</p>

<p>The OM-4 sets itself to 60 once the flash is charged.<br>

The viewfinder has over/under exposure for flash pics.<br>

The scenes are indeed quite dim and the TTL should compensate anyway ( that's sort of the whole point ) unless the 60 was very close to correct for an ambient pic.<br>

I also discovered a huge flaw with the Sunpak. In order for it to work on an Oly they had to resort to just a single screw to hold the hot-shoe to the flash body. This makes it a somewhat wobbly and rather weak mount.<br>

I'll see if I can run some film through it this weekend, time permitting.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=1717776">Patrick Dempsey</a> , Nov 21, 2010; 01:15 a.m. You might want to look into picking up an Olympus T-30... then you will have full flash control and a very nice little flash.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>DONE!<br>

( It's the T-32 btw )</p>

<p>I'm running film through it tonight and tomorrow.<br>

Does Sunpak make ANY model with true TTL OTF flash control with an Oly OM-4? I have tried both the auto 30DX and auto 422D via the OT-1D module and other than setting the shutter speed they don't quite seem to do much except couple the flashes "exposure ok" confirm lamp to the viewfinder indicator when set to the "*" position.</p>