Family photoshoot

pbless

<p>Hi,<br>

I have read several responses to the "how much" question so i just wanna make this straight in my head. <br>

1. This is the first such photoshoot that i will be doing.<br>

2. I have had some experience in portraiture (i do a lot of street + i shoot portraits of my friends for practice) as well as i covered an event (graduation informal) for my university. <br>

3. I have researched the pricing in my area.<br>

4. I have a thought of 30 pictures fully edited and done to my liking, though i am not sure if i should include prints (they cost a fortune here...but i still have two more places to check). There will be 30 resized pictures as well for using on facebook and other social networks with my watermark. I don't wanna give the "unlimited" digitals. <br>

5. I should have a contract (at least basic one to start with)?...<br>

6. I don't know if to consider this, but the mom of the family is a friend of my friend and i personally have met her. <br>

7. I use a Canon 7d + 30mm sigma and 100 f2 canon for all my work. I read that this could make a difference. <br>

I am thinking of 100 pounds sterling for the whole photoshoot.<br>

Just to show you the level of my work i post my flickr page (hopefully this is not against the rules of the forum):<br>

1. portraits http://www.flickr.com/photos/palaima/sets/72157623787935620/<br>

2. street portraits http://www.flickr.com/photos/palaima/sets/72157624742035009/<br>

Kind regards,<br>

Paulius</p>

<p> </p>

<p>First, how long will the shoot take you? 1hr? 3hrs? You need to establish that, usually through experience.</p>

<p>Second, how long will this post-processing take? 4hrs? 10hrs? That needs to be clear too.</p>

<p>If the whole thing takes you (including travel, organisation etc) 5 hrs, then you're effectively working for 20 pounds an hour BEFORE taxes and other expenses. Is that sufficient to justify your time? If the whole things takes longer then, obviously, you're looking for a lower revenue.</p>

<p>Sure, 100 pounds is an EXCELLENT price for the client - 50 pounds would be better - but is it a fair price for YOU?</p>

<p>I think it depends on the package you are offering. Often the family will be charged say 60GBP for the shoot and then any purchases made after that are where you make your profit.<br>

But if you are proving 30 fully edited images abeit in low res and watermarked then you have to consider if what you are charging is enough or whether you are likely to profit from any print purchases.<br>

I would say 100GBP is an OK price as it will all be profit (ie no taxes etc.). You should offer a price list for prints when you hand over the photos.</p>