D90 Movie Mode

randy_kayle

<p>If your HDR means High Dynamic Range, then you could inspect the link below:<br /><a href="00Xe1C">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Xe1C</a></p>

<p>If you mean High Definition Recording - ?<br />Perhaps your exposure lock only applies to still pictures, and the movie mode uses own parameters, due to different frame speed requirement. Your movie mode cannot keep up with what you selected and locked for your still pictures.</p>

<p>If you shoot at 13, 17, or 23 MBits per scond HD quality, your camera shutter must be fast to keep up with the frame rate, and the ISO is automatically increased, even if you do not have Auto ISO set for your still pictures.?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>my movie mode comes out grainy,</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If the camera was forced to shoot at a very high ISO (>1600), then the movies would be grainy. The lens you have can only go to f4 so you may want to try a "faster" lens. It is best to shoot in M-mode in low light. Set the aperture to get the desired DOF (or wide open to get enough light), set the correct shutter speed (1/30 sec if shot in the 720/24 mode), and then find the lowest ISO that gives the correct exposure. Lock this exposure with the AE button, BEFORE going live view to shoot movies. In this way, the camera will capture movies with your settings. </p>

<p>Thank you for your resposes.</p>

<p>I have tried that, should I use auto ISO? I was manualy setting ISO, then setting the camera to1/30 shutter speed, widest aperture, then locking with AE/AL before Live View with no luck.<br>

I thought the D90 ignores the shuter speed you set after you go into live view.</p>

<p>As long as you lock the AE before going to Live View, your selected setting will be locked. If you do not lock the AE by pressing the AE-L button, the camera will make changes on its own when you get to Live View.</p>

<p>Again, it does not matter whether you used auto ISO or an ISO properly selected by you. If the light levels were just too low, high ISO will give you noise, there is no other way around that. Using a f1.8 lens will give you more than two stop of light, which will make a huge difference in ISO/noise. If you are filming night scene, a f4 lens is too "slow."</p>

<p>Ok I understand, I didn't think it would do that.</p>

<p>So when I meter, and I use 1/30th of a sec, and wide open, and my meter show low light, I can't compensate to a slower shutter speed. Go to a higher ISO.</p>

<p>That correct?</p>

<p>Thank you for your patience.</p>

<p>Yes, what you said is correct. You may be able to get away using 1/15 sec shutter speed, which allows you to shoot at one stop ISO lower. The worst this can happen is duplication of frame in your videos, which may not be noticeable. For night scene, the fastest Nikon lens that is still available new is a 50mm f1.2 lens.</p>