Marketing Ideas For Beginner Portraiture Photographer

benjamin_lea

<p>I've renectly started shooting friends family etc.. And soon will be setting up my website to show the work that I am doing</p>

<p>I wanted to ask if people thought it would be a good idea to do some marketing or advertising in order to get more experiance? I dont know the best way to find subjects to shoot nor do I want to market myself as a pro photographer looking for a big pay cheque</p>

<p>I know there is this huge debate over free work vs paid work and it's not something that I'm at a cross road about but I am a little stumped as to how to start to get regular shoots of any kind? Maybe some of you have some experiances you can share that might point me in the right direction?</p>

<p>I am interested in people and there for want to shoot portraits of beauty, fashion, locational etc.. I guess though while I am in this learning stage I cant be too fussy</p>

<p>I look forward to hearing what others have to say and welcome any kind of advice</p>

<p>Ben</p>

<p>Be careful on how you market and advertise yourself in the beginning. One of the kisses of death is to advertise yourself, actually get business, and fail to perform. No matter how much (or little) you're charging, the general public will expect professional quality work the minute you put your name out there.</p>

<p>A great way to get your feet wet and build a portfolio is to create an organized casting call. You may only be "casting" for your own web portfolio, but if you set up a date, a systemized way of shooting, showing, and selling your work in a structured time frame (say, shooting four clients over two hours on a Saturday then meeting with each of them on a specified day in a cafe), you're less likely to spend a ton of time on each client individually and you'll get more images for your portfolio in a short span of time. Just be sure to use releases, contracts, and *profitable* rates if you're going to sell anything. Also, since you're compensating the client and not the other way around, be sure you get exactly what you want from them and shoot the style, location, clothing, etc. that you want. You may have to provide some props and clothing (the client shouldn't have any outlay of costs) but you certainly won't have that flexibility with a paying client, so make it count!</p>

<p>You may simply opt to offer a $10 Starbucks gift card (and no portrait products that will take time and hard costs to produce) as compensation. When we do our high school senior portrait casting call in early spring, we compensate with Starbucks. Only if and when the client books for the senior portrait session later in the year do we show the initial images. Otherwise, we spend way too much time proofing and selling for a very small sale. If you do offer portraits or portrait products as compensation, keep it nominal and be sure you're covering your costs. You may be surprised that you earn additional sales (a bonus for sure).</p>

<p>Start shooting what you *want* to shoot right away (at least, after figuring out what it is that you really want to shoot -- that can take a bit of time). The more "niche" and specialized you become, the more sought after you will be. Avoid the "scattershot" approach to taking work. You'll inevitably only get more of what you shoot and show.</p>

<p>This is a huge topic and can lead to so many other discussions, but this is my .02. Good luck and have fun :)</p>

<p>Karen Lippowiths</p>

<blockquote>

<p>how to start to get regular shoots of any kind?</p>

<p>nor do I want to market myself as a pro photographer looking for a big pay cheque</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Getting paid to shoot makes you a professional by nearly any definition.</p>

<p>Your post is a little confusing; not to me, though probably to yourself in your "goal setting."</p>

<p>Good marketing & advertising is for a purpose. That purpose is to make a profit; be is a big paycheck or not.<br>

How to market and advertise is the subject of countless books, seminars and even formal education.</p>

<p>My feeling is that you are getting the cart before the horse; or a solution looking for a problem.</p>

<p>I suggest you answer the following before continuing:</p>

<p><strong>WHO</strong><br>

<strong>WHAT</strong><br>

<strong>WHERE</strong><br>

<strong>WHY</strong><br>

<strong>WHEN</strong></p>

<p>(WHO) do I want to market & advertise to?<br>

(WHAT) do I want to shoot?<br>

(WHERE) will I do this?<br>

(WHY) am I doing this?<br>

(WHEN) will I begin?</p>

<p>If that looks like the start of a "business plan"; it is!</p>

<p>Defining where you want to go and how to get there will spell the difference between success or failure.</p>

<p>Specific marketing or advertising ideas are pre-mature at this stage IMO.<br>

Karen mentioned "scatter shooting"..what you have so far is scatter planning.</p>

<p>I wish I could offer you more positive advice; but until you define your goals I fear you are swaying in the breeze.</p>

<p>Just for fun, let's consider one tiny scenario; deal?</p>

<p>1) How much money do you want to make? $50/week?...$500/week?...$2,000/week?</p>

<p>...or are you as many are simply hoping that (whatever) is good for now?<br>

(Whatever) will break your bank account faster than rocket.</p>

<p>2) I can't tell from your post if you want to do this "just for a little fun" which is ok, or make some money and grow larger with time?</p>

<p>Here is some good reading that will help you get going. <a href="http://www.danheller.com/bizfaq.html">LINK</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>Kevin,<br>

<br />Thanks heaps for your reply. I understand 100% what you are saying. I guess for now I have a full time job and this is just a hobby for me<br>

I would like to see it move to a full time job in a few years. It confuses me a little when I ask for help on how to advertise myself without wanting to appear like a pro photographer.<br>

I guess I was asking advice on how to market to a smaller crowd of people, get known and build a portfolio. I in no way shape or form want to turn this into a business yet nor do I think I am ready but I still want to do some 'advertising' on my site, business cards etc..<br>

I read an article on how to broaden your portfolio by approaching bars clubs etc.. and shooting owners, cooks, waiters and so on. This way it's personal work and your not just shooting for free and or becoming that guy with a camera that everyone calls because you dont charge<br>

I guess my question relates to 'pre-business' advertising, personal advertising if you like with the hope of it one day going pro.<br>

At this point in time I dont want to make money from it, not till I know my shooting if worth the money.<br>

It is a very scattered idea lol and I'm looking for info from those who have turned a scattered idea into something more..</p>

<p>Kevin,<br>

<br />Thanks heaps for your reply. I understand 100% what you are saying. I guess for now I have a full time job and this is just a hobby for me<br>

I would like to see it move to a full time job in a few years. It confuses me a little when I ask for help on how to advertise myself without wanting to appear like a pro photographer.<br>

I guess I was asking advice on how to market to a smaller crowd of people, get known and build a portfolio. I in no way shape or form want to turn this into a business yet nor do I think I am ready but I still want to do some 'advertising' on my site, business cards etc..<br>

I read an article on how to broaden your portfolio by approaching bars clubs etc.. and shooting owners, cooks, waiters and so on. This way it's personal work and your not just shooting for free and or becoming that guy with a camera that everyone calls because you dont charge<br>

I guess my question relates to 'pre-business' advertising, personal advertising if you like with the hope of it one day going pro.<br>

At this point in time I dont want to make money from it, not till I know my shooting if worth the money.<br>

It is a very scattered idea lol and I'm looking for info from those who have turned a scattered idea into something more..</p>

<p>Your response tells me you are now beginning to focus. Good.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I would like to see it move to a full time job in a few years. It confuses me a little when I ask for help on how to advertise myself without wanting to appear like a pro photographer.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Error #1) The moment you advertise your services with the intent of <em>"I would like to see it move to a full time job in a few years", </em>you have begun to (<strong>Brand</strong>) yourself. You can't say "today I will start building my portfolio, market & advertise, and in a few years I will be a pro." I suppose it is possible if you change your name and move to a different locale where no one knows you; but that kinda' defeats the purpose of building a good name; yes?</p>

<p>Future clients have long memories.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I guess I was asking advice on how to market to a smaller crowd of people, get known and build a portfolio.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The short answer is word of mouth. Never underestimate this powerful advertising medium. Start-up companies have been made and broken by word of mouth alone.</p>

<p>"Getting known" and "Getting a name" for yourself can be a two edged sword. You can be known as the person who did really lousy work or really great work.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I in no way shape or form want to turn this into a business yet nor do I think I am ready but I still want to do some 'advertising' on my site, business cards etc..</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not yet? Then when? Re-read error #1.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I read an article on how to broaden your portfolio by approaching bars clubs etc.. and shooting owners, cooks, waiters and so on. This way it's personal work</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's NEVER personal work if you intend to do this professionally one day.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I guess my question relates to 'pre-business' advertising, personal advertising if you like with the hope of it one day going pro.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Please re-read my original response to you. It still applies.<br>

Did you read the material in the link I provided?..I hope so.</p>

<p>"Pre-business" is a misnomer....No such thing. If your intent is to get paid, it's ALL business and your mindset should be along those lines. So many feel because their advertising & marketing budget is small or even ZERO, they are not yet in business. That is false. The moment you tell someone YOU are a photographer, your advertising has begun w/o spending a dime. Your reputation has begun to take shape.</p>

<p>I will suggest a very inexpensive book.<br>

It all may not apply to you, but it WILL force you to think about advertising & marketing. <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Marketing-4th-Inexpensive-Strategies/dp/0618785914">LINK</a></p>

<p>There are two sentences in this book that helped me increase my profit margin by almost 10%; and I've been earning my living in this for a number of years. Those (2) sentences may not apply to you, but you WILL see new, interesting and creative ways to market & advertise.</p>

<p>This thread could go on and on and on concerning ways to market & advertise; but I don't feel that is the reason for boards like these, so I will leave you with this Benjamin;</p>

<p>Political candidates in the U.S spend tons of money getting elected or re-elected; and I mean tons!</p>

<p>Isn't it interesting to note with their giant ad budgets; how much face to face time they expend with the public?</p>

<p>You asked about specic ideas?</p>

<p><strong>SEE THE PEOPLE!</strong></p>