new notebook

hh253

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I am going to buy a new notebook for a trip of two weeks to Ethiopia, but I will use it also for other trips.I am thinking on a notebook small dimensions (13,3"), light, big HD (500 GB), fast processor and long battery, because I will be also some day without possibilities to recharge.<br>

I have a back up with a external HD (250 GB) and I might buy another one, as they are small and inexpensive.<br>

I have a Nikon D700 and shoot Raw at highest quality.<br>

As I am not an expert I would really appreciate having your suggestions. A notebook I am considering the Sony Vaio VPC-S13L9E<br>

Many thanks</p>

<p>Heinz</p>

<p>You didn't say what your budget was, but you might like these. I have the 13" and I absolutely love it.<br /> Both options for the 13" you can upgrade the hard drive to 500 for $100 and $150.</p>

<p>http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?aid=AIC-WWW-NAUS-K2-BUYNOW-MACBOOKPRO-INDEX&cp=BUYNOW-MACBOOKPRO-INDEX</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I don't like that Sony because it's only got Intel onboard graphics with shared memory. Pretty much any dedicated memory video card is better. There are a couple of very nice Asus 13" and 14" models (if the U33JC-A1 is available in your area, I like it a lot) and of course the 13" Macbook Pro is almost as good as it gets (it would be better with an i5 or i7 but as I understand it they can't get it all to fit in the chassis using the currently available MB's for those chips!)</p>

<p>I can't speak about the laptop question - I'm still happy with an older Toshiba, and my travels don't get me to places where AC power isn't available.</p>

<p>But let me suggest something about the hard drive. I have a Wolverine standalone hard drive - it has slots in one end to take mamory cards of all types, and it's rechargable. I use it without the laptop to copy the day's shooting onto it, and then copy the same cards onto the laptop for duplicate storage. Some of the standalone disks have pretty nice color displays for viewing the photos, but mine doesn't - I just worry about storage. If you are planning to get another drive, I urge you to look into these - they add a lot of security to your storage while you are travelling.</p>