Problem with Sensor Seal on EOS 1Ds II

stephen_power1

My 3 year old 1Ds II (bought just prior to the launch of the MK III) and which has only approx. 27, 650 shutter actuations has developed a serious problem, and I wanted to ask if anyone has ever heard of it before, how common it is - and if you have any advice on if the repair costs might become prohibitive - and what I might say to Canon, please with a view to possibly arguing a case for leniency regarding the repair costs! The body has been dispatched to Elstree today, via the CPS service but I won't hear from them until the end of the week, at best, I reckon.<br /><br />The problem is around the shutter mechanism and/or sensor. A piece of material (possibly plastic) is protruding across the top edge of the sensor, and it appears to have come loose from either behind the sensor or the shutter mechanism. I noticed a change in the shutter mechanism noise when using long exposures (it seemed softer than usual) and since I have noticed the extraneous material.<br /><br />A Dublin-based repairer - who advised me to send it back rather than have him look at it thinks (based on what I told him - he hasn't seen it) is that the seal between the anti-aliasing filter and the sensor has been broken and that the bit of plastic is part of the seal. He says: a) He has never heard of it happening before, b) 27650 actuations is not a lot for that body, c) The sensor would probably need to be cleaned in a "clean room", but Canon would probably not do that and opt to replace the whole filter/sensor.<br /><br />I'm more than a little worried - not much spare cash for big repairs and that is my main body, and 2 jobs coming up next week.<br /><br />Any comments based on your experience of similar problems would be welcome.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Stephen Power<br /><br />Limerick, Ireland

<p><br /></p>

<p>Just wait to see what Canon says, speculation by people here won't help. Shutters are basically a service item nowadays though and are regularly replaced for around $300 in the USA by Canon, though yours is a low actuation number it is still much more likely to be shutter related than a sensor issue.</p>

<p>If it's your primary camera for making money, go rent a replacement while you send your primary money-making tool into the shop for proper repair.</p>

<p>You don't rely on internet opinion when you car breaks down, do you?</p>

<p>The camera isn't going to get better by itself, and no one can tell you how much it will cost except Canon.</p>

<p><Chas></p>

<p>Thanks Charles I have arranged rental, thanks. I didn't ask about cost, to be honest, I was asking if anyone had heard of this problem arising previously and your thoughts on the seriousness of the problem.<br>

I had thought that a few thoughful comments would give me something to go on while I was waiting for the body to reach Canon.<br>

I hadn't realised that this forum was so aggressive.<br>

Stephen</p>

<p>I've heard of problems with the CMOS filter and Canon usually pulls and replaces the entire CMOS assembly, filter and all. They don't normally do spot level repairs. And, if that indeed is the problem, you're looking at a pretty penny for your thoughts...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I'm a bit surprised that I'm contributing to this thread as I'm just a dolt on this stuff too, but prior to the self-cleaning of the III series, it was common for people to write that a scratched filter could be replaced without having to get a whole new sensor assembly. Whether this is still true or if reassembly of the filter is the cure for your problem is unknown by me, and through the years Puppy Face has been a reliable source of info. If you are really curious a search in DPReview might get you some answers. If you have to replace the sensor assembly that is expensive enough to weigh getting a newer camera.</p>