Do you use the highest capacity CF card you can buy or do you like a particular size for convenience or safety?

dan_k6

<p>I always use a couple of 4GB cards. I would like to have a couple of 8GB cards, but seeing that I'm actually doing OK with the 4GB ones, I can't square buying the larger cards (I know they're not that expensive, but I find myself remembering the old adage of 'if it ain't broken...')</p>

<p>I back up my files on a software RAID using MirrorFolder. I can set the options so that when I copy from card to disk, it automatically makes another copy on another drive that cannot be destroyed. When I modify the copy on the primary disk, I have it set to modify the backup, but you can control that as well.</p>

<p>Jack said:<br>

"Lose one card with all your important photos and the answer to your question becomes pretty obvious..."</p>

<p>To someone that's never filled a 2GB card in one shoot, it may be obvious, but to the rest of us it's not so clear...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I back up my files on a software RAID using MirrorFolder.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A Raid is NOT a back up. The ONLY thing a Raid protects you from is drive failure. Period. It does not protect you from file or directory corruption, from accidentally deleting a file, from a surge taking out your drives and so on. It only protects you from drive failure. At which point, you really need a <em>back up</em> drive to prevent the "other" catastrophes that can (and are more likely) to happen. Since you now have a back up drive, the need for the Raid is really... unneeded!</p>

<p>I bought 2gb cards through my ownership of a 10D and 30D. 212 RAW files on a card is fine for me. Now that I use a 40D I only get 141 pics on a card so I buy 4GB cards now. I am rightfully wary of having all my 'eggs in one basket' so I have no problem changing cards a few times a day. Cards can fail, get lost or stolen or succumb to some sort of human error. Were my camera to be stolen during a day of shooting I wouldn't want the added insult of losing all the day's pictures.</p>