Lightweight equivilant to Slik Pro 700?

dspindle

<p>I love my Slik Pro 700 tripod. In particular, the rock solid sturdiness, the round quick-release plate and the height (I am 6'). I shoot mostly close-ups and macros, sometimes with a focusing rail and long lenses.<br>

My only complaint is the 7lb+ weight. Is there a lightweight tripod that can tightly hold a D90 plus long lens and focus rail in both horiz and vert formats? Without breaking the bank? I looked at Really Right Stuff and Gitzo and almost passed out. I'm looking for something in the $300 price range.<br>

Or, am I dreaming? I think it was John Shaw who said there is no such thing as a "sturdy, lightweight tripod".</p>

<p>Nothing in the price range of the 700DX, but if you are OK with snap clamps, one of the Manfrotto CF tripods might do the trick, coupled with their excellent 3048 three-way head. If the CF puts you over the top on budget, their aluminum tripods are a couple pounds lighter than the 700DX. Outside of Gitzo, you won't find anything as tall, however.</p>

<p>There are plenty of sturdy, lightweight tripods, but none you would consider "affordable". You pay more for less, so to speak.</p>

<p>See if you can find an older Gitzo G-1227 or G-1325 tripod on evilbay. I found one for $200, which needed $15 worth of bushings to make it like new. A Manfrotto 3048 head will fit until you can afford a decent ball head with Arca-type QR. A Gitzo is half the weight of the equivalent Manfrotto, half a foot (or more) taller and built to last a lifetime. Once you've used one, there's no going back.</p>