D90 Flash sync speed

dspindle

<p>I've heard I can adjust my "flash sync speed" on the D90 to allow shooting close-ups at hand-holdable shutter speeds of 1/125 or 1/250 while using small apertures. But, I can't figure out how..is this only available with an external flash?</p>

<p>You are asking about D90 menu E1 - Flash Shutter Speed. The default (Minimum Shutter speed with Flash) is 1/60 second. This E1 menu will allow it to go slower (lower minimum). This applies only to camera A or P mode. This is a Minimum shutter speed. If outdoors in bright light, it will always go faster (to whatever is metered).</p>

<p>There are also two other ways to do it. </p>

<p>Slow Sync mode (D90 page 71) will allow camera A or P mode to use the actual metered shutter speed (which may be very slow in a dim setting where you need flash, like maybe 1/2 second). This is the metered value of ambient, it uses whatever is metered in that dim room.</p>

<p>Best way for flash in any dim setting (for example indoors) is to use camera M mode, and simply set any shutter speed you wish. Shutter speed does NOT affect flash.</p>

<p> </p>