Advice on Backup Camera for Weddings...

ella_swanson

<p>Currently I shoot with a 5D Mark II and a 30D for backup. I need to get a newer backup to replace to 30D (<em>I'll still bring the 30D along for my backups backup</em>) and I'm wondering if I should save the money, give up the full sensor and go with the 7D, or if it's worth it to get another 5D. I don't think I want to go as far down to the rebels (<em>I feel like I'm going to swallow them up they're so tiny</em>), and I don't know much about the 60D.<br>

So really right now it's between the 60D, the 7D and the 5D Mark II.</p>

<p>It depends if you are treating the back up truly as a back up only, or are using it as a second camera. If the former, I'd get a 5D original. If you like a full frame and a cropped sensor, the 7D, and if you want to stay with full frame, but use two cameras, the 5D original again. If it were me, the 60D would not have a place among the choices.</p>

<p>I agree with Nadine that we need to know how you utilize your cameras.</p>

<p>If you shoot with the 5DmkII ONLY and have the 30D as “a backup” (i.e. the 30D rarely gets a run except to the once a week test and battery check) – then it is a no brainer: get a 5D.</p>

<p>If you actually shoot with two cameras, utilizing the Dual Format Kit – it is also a no brainer – the 7D wins hands down. Thus giving you a 5DMkII + 7D kit, which is very powerful.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Hi Ella,</p>

<p>One thing that I have been very happy with in the last few years is the availability of dual card cameras. That is my first line of defense in the backup solution.</p>

<p>Following that, having a camera that is as close to your primary as possible is an excellent idea (IMO). Then, keep two cameras with you at all times. That way if one does break at an inopportune moment, you can shoot something with your second body, even if the lens is different. If the controls are familiar enough, the 7d would be a better cam IMO. If the $$ are not too much of an issue, the MkII is better.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There are muscle memory benefits as well as post production benefits using two identical cameras. I value that higher than the added value of getting more combinations of additional focal lengths with mixed sensor sizes.</p>

<p>So two 5D Mk II. And I would swap them and/or use them both when shooting to wear them down simultanesly as well as confirming they both really work.</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...