Ansel Adams Exhibition near Atlanta

larry h.

<p>For anyone living in or visiting Atlanta, I highly recommend the Ansel Adams Exhibition at the Booth Western Art Museum in Cartersville (about 35 miles north of Atlanta). It is there until February 20. (Personally, I skipped the rest of the museum.)</p>

<p>There are about 130 prints (printed by Adams himself), including most of his famous prints and lots of prints I had never seen before. My favorite is Clearing Winter Storm. This collection was originally going to go into an Ansel Adams Museum, before the Friends of Photography canceled the project. Now, they are owned by a couple in Austin, TX and toured around the country.</p>

<p>The exhibit is terrific. I loved seeing original prints of photographs that I had only seen in books or posters before. I don't think anyone else has anywhere near as extensive of a collection (other than the Adams heirs themselves). Moon Over Half Dome was probably 30" x 36" or so in size. The detail is incredible.</p>

<p>Go see it!</p>

<p>Mark, I once found a copy of Ansel Adams in Color. It was amazing. But I gave the book to a friend of mine as a present. Maybe I should search for one on Amazon.</p>

<p>I recently used Amazon to find a copy of Eliot Porter's The Place No-One Knew. Porter is probably my favorite color photog and was Adam's successor as a leading 'environmentalist' photog--they both did work for the Sierra Club.</p>