Is it worth buying 5d mark ii since there are rumours that mk3 is coming out?

ege_oyman

<p>Hello, <br>

i am very confused.. as the question says, rumours say 5D mark 3 is coming out next year.</p>

<p>Should i stick to my 40d until the next one comes out or should i buy mark 2 right now? <br>

Also, do you think the price of MK2 drop when the new one comes out? </p>

<p>If you base your buying decision on speculation about a camera that has not even been announced then you will end up never buying another camera. Are you willing to wait a year without being able to take the pictures you think the 5D will give you?<br>

I would say buy what you need to do the job now. </p>

<p>Simple. Do you need the 5D now? If yes, buy it immediately. If this is just a GAS attack and you'll always hate yourself for jumping the gun, then by all means wait. I skipped the 5DII - I am still very happy with my 5D classic. Once the 5DIII comes out (whenever that is), I will most likely upgrade - but I am really in no hurry whatsoever - BUT photography is just a hobby for me (albeit a very important one).</p>

<p>The 5dII is a great camera and it is hard to know what the III will offer. But the 1dsMKIV was rumored to be out last Christmas and generally the 5D models follow. All of these camera upgrades seem very late and it is impossible to know why or what they can add--I think they are pretty much maxed out unless some new technology is being developed. I am not sure the marginal noise reduction and video would be reason for anyone to buy an upgraded 1ds camera--also not sure more MP with current glass and technology is going to get you much more either. I suppose they could upgrade the focus and build of the 5D, but that would undermine the 1ds sales.</p>

<p>So, bottom line, 5DII is a great camera and if you really want to upgrade, go for it. The camera should give you many good years of service before you feel the need to upgrade.</p>

<p>i dont have much lenses. I have only the kit lens 17-85 and macro 100mm f2.8.. yes i am going to keep the 40d for sport shots. also my father wants to use it :) I was thinking of getting 70-200 f4 IS but since i have a dream on getting 5d mark ii i gave up..</p>

<p>The 5D was in production slightly over 3 years before being replaced by the 5DII. The 5DII debuted November 2008. If the cycle continues, the 5DII is due a makeover Fall 2011. It usually takes a couple months to work into the pipeline and you pay a bleeding edge tax if you buy during the first 3 or 4 months. Can you wait until early 2012? If the world ends 12/21/2012 you won't get to enjoy it very long...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>If it were me, I would be looking at what I would have <strong>at the end of all of this buying:</strong> <br />> In this regard the 17 to 85 is the odd man out, IMO. <br />> you say you want the 70 to 200, but you will buy the 24 to 105 ? ? ? . . . that seems odd to me. <br />> You will have <strong>two single cameras</strong> and <strong>a single standard zoom lens</strong> to match each camera <br />> Both of those zoom lenses are almost identical in respect of FL/FoV . . . <br />So I see little sense in this <br /><br />*** <br /><br />I think you need to look at what <strong>total kit you want to develop</strong>. <br /><br />I think, piecing together a picture from the information you have provided the answers to my questions - you basically want two camera bodies and the capacity to have up to a 200mm lens on the 40D (Equiv 320mm) but also the FF aspects of the 5D and perhaps use the 5DMkII at the wide for Landscapes and stuff? ? ? <br /><br />I think the 5DMkII is a very nice camera and if it were me I would buy it. <br />I would do a deal with the 5DMkII and <strong>buy the 70 to 200/4L IS with it </strong>– not the 24 to 105. <br />I would sell the 17 to 85 and <strong>buy the 17 to 40/4L.</strong> <br />With those two zoom lenses and the 40D and the 5D you have equivalent FL / FoV (in terms of a “Full Frame camera”) from 17 to 64mm at F/4 and then 70 to 320mm at F/4 with IS. <br />The gap between 64 and 70 is insignificant. <br />You also have a 100/2.8 and also a 160/2.8 - both Macro. <br /><br />Depending upon your needs and wants, that kit allows for extension with a couple of well thought out Primes. <br />Also in good light the 70 to 200/4 can manage the X1.4MkII quite well. <br />Also the 17 to 40 is a very handy “walk about” lens on both cameras, IMO. <br />In terms of FL/FoV using the 17 to 40 and the 70 to 200 with two cameras, renders the 24 to 105 superfluous (except for the IS application from 24mm to 70mm). <br />But this type of “Kit Thinking” requires <em>using two cameras as part of the kit</em> (and that’s why I asked you those questions) – not everyone wants this.<br>

You might just want a 5DMkxxx and a 24 to 105 to stick on the camera and use that as a stand-alone camera and lens kit. I don't know.</p>

<p>But I think of all of my DSLRs as part a kit.<br>

I think across that kit when I choose lenses <strong>such that each lens will have a purpose or use on each camera.</strong><br>

And I think across that kit when I buy a camera such that <strong>each camera can make meaningful smaller kit with one or two lenses.</strong> <br /><br /><br /><br />WW <br /><br /><br /></p>

<p>Regarding</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Also, do you think the price of MK2 drop when the new one comes out?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It will drop some, but not all that much. Even now a good-condition 5D mk 1 is not cheap. The "Like New" bodies over at KEH are selling around $1,430 to $1,540; actual new 5D mk 1 bodies were about $2,000 when the model was discontinued in fall 2008. So, the price for the 5D mk 1 has only dropped about 25% in the two years since it was discontinued. I expect the 5D mk 2 will command a high price for years to come.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>I would not jump in yet. The 5D mark 4 is rumored to blow away the unannounced 5DM3</em>. If you are prepared to wait for the 5D Mark 5 ... it will make breakfast for you.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, I'm definitely skipping the Mark IV. I can't deal with a wimpy 42 MP sensor. I need the Mark V's advanced features. ;-)</p>

<p>Its too soon to be expecting the Mk3. The Mk2 has all the resolution you will ever need and its FX. But, be smart. Buy a used one on eBay and save yourself 30% or more. Then when the Mk3 comes out trade it in if you want to. You should be looking pretty good, money wise.<br>

At some stage we all have to get off this incessant DSLR upgrade cycle. The newest models have too much....features that only confuse you and get in the way of an easy setup. Video is one example. Want Video? Buy a good camcorder. Need 12800 ISO?...who goes out in the dark to take photos except PI's?<br>

We survived very well in the film days with a max of 3200 ISO. Todays digital images are still inferior to film like Velvia. And at what cost?<br>

The camera I am waiting for is the Fuji that looks like an M9 clone. Back to basics and more enjoyment, I say!</p>

<p>I also have the 40D and plan on upgrading to full frame mid next year which is when I'll have the funds to do so. If the Mk3 is available then but doesnt present any significant upgrades then I'll save my money and buy the Mk2. If I had the money now I'd buy the Mk2 without a second thought.<br>

IMO I'd buy a used 5D Mk2 now and put the rest to some quality glass and/or as previously mentioned when the Mk3 is released and it has features you need ebay the Mk2 and purchase the Mk3.<br>

Cheers<br>

Shane</p>

<p>Before you go to a full frame camera, take a look at your computer system. Do you have enough storage space for large files? Does you workflow need fine tuning? Will you need to upgrade computer programs and are you backing up properly? </p>

<p>It would make sense to have the above in good shape, instead of getting a new camera than suddenly have a computer system/workflow that also needs upgrading.</p>

<p>Think of digital camera bodies as somewhat disposable. Lenses are a staple worth the investment much more. If you have a limited budget, spend it on lenses first.</p>

<p>The 70-200 4 IS is a fantastic lens (significantly better optically than the non-IS). </p>

<p>And as mentioned, you can use film with the new lens right away to get pictures of much higher quality than you can with the 40D.</p>