Worth picking up Nikon film gear?

Ian Rance

<p>Are being conned into thinking that we need all these bells and whistles in DSLRs? The Japanese buyer has a dreadful habit of making purchase decisions based on the length of the spec sheet. They do it with computers and cars, and its a status symbol amongst them to have the latest and greatest gadget.<br>

They come to live in the west for a while (I was division manager for Hitachi) and are quite perplexed as to why we are not so impressed. Their marketing people are tuned to this upgrade path to keep sales ticking over. I'm not going to invest a couple of grand again in a DSLR until I can see some investment protection. I have a nice collection of Nikon FX lenses that I want to keep using and I do enjoy film, and the fact that you don't get immediate results. Its the surprise you get when you collect or process your developed film that I like.<br>

If I look at the whole lineup of Nikon DSLRs starting from 2008 the standout to me is the D700. FX and my lenses will work, as much resolution as a D3, and in a nice smaller, solid package. Its an FX version of the D300 which I loved, plus a nice fat sensor and full frame format. I'll keep on the lookout for a good one and then ignore the market for a couple of years.<br>

I have to say, though, that the new Fujifilm X100 may well win me over at a grand. At last a manufacturer has produced a high quality but simple digital camera for those who lust over but can't afford an M9. I think it will go gangbusters.</p>

<p>For most people it's a hobby, and a hobby is something you do purely for the enjoyment of it, without the thought of any ulterior motives. Your hobby is cheap compared to that of a guy who owns a decades-old automobile into which he's sunk a whole year's worth of income or more, and which he may drive a couple of times a month and only in good weather. I can see that you like to photograph and that you also enjoy cameras as fine mechanical objects. What's wrong with that? I like the convenience and instant feedback afforded by digital technology, but I also own more than a dozen old Nikons, mostly F's and F2's. I love those old cameras and won't get rid of them, even though I may shoot only a dozen rolls each year. I work with digital pictures every day, so to sit and look at photographs on a monitor is not "fun" to me. I think people who develop their own b&w film will be able to keep doing so for decades. Sure, the price on F3's has gone down a lot, making it affordable to people who dreamed about owning one years ago. Didn't Nikon D1's go for $5,000 when they were new ten years ago? Have you seen what they are selling for now? Enjoy :).</p>

<p> Just enjoy your hobby. Old camera's are great. If you want 5 or 10 of them then go for it. I have a Nikon FM2n and I think it's great. We are going to jouney far and wide together. Next month we are headed to Disneyland. My family will also be going of course.</p>