Is this a good deal? (Mamiya C330)

jason_fung

<p>I've been using a rangefinder for quite some time now; and i've been wanted to get into medium format. I think I may have stumbled onto a deal. However, i've never bought a used camera before; and I wanted some direction from others who are willing to help me. After some research, I've decided on the Mamiya c330. for the following reasons <br /> - i like looking down<br /> - i want an interchangable lens set, wide angle for landscape; plus a 50mm equivalent that I use for still life and candid portraits. (that's usually what i use)<br>

LUckily I came across the deal below...<br>

400 dollars (USD)<br /> note: due to personal circumstance, I am unable to inspect the items in person.<br /> <br /> http://www.flickr.com/photos/dikaiosune01/sets/72157625154589847/<br /> <br /> I've asked the following:<br /> "When were they all last used? Are there any light leaks? What condition are the lenses in? Is there any haze, fungus or scratches? Has the camera been cleaned, lubricated, and adjusted? Do you have any sample pictures taken with this camera?<br /> <br /> I've got the following response:<br /> The camera & lenses are not mine but belong to my brother-in-law. The equipment is all in great condition and hardly used. He bought it all brand new when he wanted to get into photography in a big way and then quickly lost interest. It has been sitting in a closet for a number of years. I'm not into photography myself, so I'm not exactly sure what you mean with all your specific questions. I would be happy to take some close-up photos of the equipment and send them to you if you like, if you tell me exactly what you would like to see. I do not have any sample photos that were taken by the camera itself. I'm just doing him a favour by selling it for him as he is an older gentleman not familiar with selling items on Kijiji and the like.<br /> <br /> additional questions:<br /> - i'm very tempted to risk it. However it it becomes a dud, I don't know where or how much it will be to get it fixed. (While I can get the items through contacts back home. I live in a non-English speaking country)<br /> - after the camera sits in a closet for many years. how about the shutter springs? will things have worn out due to age?</p>

<p>That sounds kind of high for a camera that is beeing sold by someone who is "doing a favor for someone else"<br>

For the same money you could pick up a Mamiya 645 or 645E with its standard lens (80mm f2.8) and a wide angle (55mm f3.5). The Mamiya 645 is well-built, mostly metal. The 645E is more plastic, but has a brighter viewfinder (with split image). I've owned two 645E's for the last 3 years (bought used) and really like them. If you like the idea of more robust construction, you can always get a brighter screen for the standard Mamiya 645. Also it takes more accessories (different finders, winders, etc.)</p>

<p>The set looks very nice and includes the 180mm Super, 50mm and 80mm all in the latest black version. The camera is the professional F. All look in to be in very good condition, the lenses have their chrome ring on the front. The camera itself is almost indestructable. If the condition is indeed as good as it looks, I would say that 400US$ is a very good deal.<br>

The 330C and the lenses are also all metal by the way.<br>

Good luck, Frank</p>

<p>I'd say it's a good deal. I have a C220 which I bought second hand in 1995, and still use today. It came with the standard 80mm lens, and I paid $325. These cameras are solidly built, and fun to use. This sale comes with the 55mm and 180mm lenses - they are less common(thus more valuable?) than the common lenses(80mm and 150mm.) The lenses move this sale closer to a great deal, in my opinion. Actually it's just bordering a great deal, I think. Also, it'll be wise to expect spending $100 to $200 for a good CLA, once you receive it. Especially since the items have been sitting for a long time. Good luck!</p>

<p>Mamiya TLRs go for very low prices now, but this is a good deal. Most people like the 55mm lens, and the 180 Super is excellent. Some Mamiya geeks say the 330f is the best of the TLRs, and is preferable to the later 330s. A good sign is that the chrome stiffening rings are both present on the 180. These are very often missing, and it suggests this is not a heavily used/abused set. </p>

<p>You will need lens caps and definitely hoods, and they are a bit tricky to find. You may well need shutter overhauls as B Christopher said. </p>

<p>The most likely problem will be sticky or slow shutter speeds. You should ask the seller to try firing the shutter of each lens at the one second setting and tell you if they really do sound close to 1 second. If they are a little long, they might free up by exercising them. If they sound like they are over 2 seconds then they'll likely need cleaning. I had a local repairer quote my slow 55mm; they wanted about $140USD, which seemed rather high to me.</p>

<p>Its a good deal if the camera is is good condition and there is no fungus on the lenses. I love shooting square format and bought a Rollei TLR with a f3.5, 75mm lens ( automat4). I decided I also needed a wider lens so I took my time and purchased one peice at a time , the 330F body, a single action hood, a 55mm lens, and a 135mm lens at a total cost of $350.00. Its a workhorse camera, used by many wedding photographers in the past. 400 for the body, the finder and 3 lenses is a very good deal. I spent a year and didn't do that well and i did well. Also the lens are very good, easily capable of producing professional quality work</p>

<p>A "starter" Hasselblad outfit with the kit 80mm, one film back, can be had for little more than $400, probably in the $500-600 range. But don't quote me on it. Just look around, KEH, Adorama, etc. At any rate, I got lucky and bought a Blad 500 c (late c serial which is actually a c/m so you can change the viewfinder), two backs, the 50mm and the 80mm lens plus some odds and ends like flash grip, strap, prism finder and a few different screens for no more than $850 - actually from a fellow member here. Backs needed CLA (common), lenses and body not. I have since expanded the kit with more lenses: 40mm, 150mm and 250mm, flash unit, etc. and this is the danger/downside of Hasselblad! Get in to it and it WILL eat in to your wallet, until it or you are both satisfied :)</p>

<p>Having used various m/f cameras in the past including TLR's, albeit no C series Mamiya and without wanting to come across as another Hasselblad fanatic/snob, all I can say is that I really enjoy the build and quality of this brand. Zeiss lenses are for a reason top-notch and yet to be beat. A small story: one day a friend asked me to come around and take a few pictures at his place and I forgot the 50mm Distagon in the car, so I asked him to go and get it whilst was busy with other things. He came back, wheighing the lens in his hand and said: Now THIS is quality! You can feel it by its sheer wheight.</p>

<p>It's like anything, I suppose. Budget being the deciding factor, but considering that only the body of the latest-greatest-Canonikon DSLR will cost close to $2.000 (at least where I live) and I spent less than that for what I now consider a "complete" Hassy kit - and most importantly - using it gives me more satisfaction than any DSLR I owned in the past ever did, I think it is a reasonable price to pay.</p>

<p>Bottom line: Why settle for second-best when the best is within reach with todays analogue equipment prices?<br>

OK, I get off my soap-box now...:)</p>

<p> </p><div>00Xavu-296523584.jpg.4faeff3bd7e1ad9341564c9fad5a914d.jpg</div>

<p>I think the only thing to ask is "Do I want to carry another dummy camera around on top of my real camera?" because basically that's what you're doing with a TLR design.</p>

<p>This is just my opinion, but the TLR concept has got to be one of the stupidest ideas ever thought of. The disadvantages of parallax error, no depth-of-field preview and a reversed viewfinder, with only the lack of mirror vibration as compensation. But then the camera's so big and heavy that a tripod's almost essential anyway! And instead of buying one interchangeable lens, you have to buy two - as well as a shutter!</p>

<p>Get an SLR, you know it makes sense.</p>

<p>From a non-monetary standpoint, I would say it's a good deal for what you're wanting in a camera. If you like looking down into the viewfinder, wait until you invert it, hold it high above you and look up into it for a whole new perspective! For candid photos, it's my opinion that reaction time for a Twin Lens Reflex (TLR) camera is faster than some of the Single Lens Reflex (SLR) medium-format cameras. You could damage your rotator cuff in your shoulder reaching behind you for your Hasselblad 500 with 150mm lens (it's heavy).<br>

TLR cameras have a higher reliability in the long run that other alternatives due to less moving parts. Your gadget back will, over time, be lighter as well compared to some medium format SLR alternatives (additional film backs, heavy lens, prisms, etc). I'm a Hasselblad fan but my gadget bag went from bag, to suitcase, to trunk and that's not good since I drive a Mazda Miata!</p><div>00XbTQ-297059584.jpg.2f8313e865ef46f37f1a1f978a1d8562.jpg</div>

<p>Strange how someone asks for an opinion on 6 x 6 format TLR and people recommend that he buys a 645 format camera.<br>

The C330F is an excellent camera which is built like a tank and very reliable. The only negative aspects are the weight (it's pretty heavy) and the rather dim viewfinder. I would have said that $400 is not unreasonable for the outfit, provided it is in tip top condition. You could of course, always make a lower offer.</p>

<p>Jason, it doesn't sound a bad deal, provided the gear is in good condition, which judging from the (rather small) pictures it is. The C330F is a very reliable camera, and the only disadvantages are the dim screen and fairly hefty weight. The laterally reversed screen image is no big deal.<br>

Strange how some people recommend a 645 format when you've asked for an opinion of a 6 x 6 format.</p>

<p>Stan...I think I can appreciate how your shoulders feel, after my recent Norway trip. My back pack was as heavy as me and my fiancees 3-week-stay clothes suitcase. She did point that out as well. More than once.</p>

<p>Jason, if you can try all alternatives before you buy, it would be perfect. I realise that may not be possible. No big deal, since a TLR is after all medium format and any brand/concept whatever will have its pro's and con's.</p>

<p>BTW: The hasseblad viewfinder is also "inverted" but like Stan also points out, it can make for interesting perspectives. Just go for it!</p>