photography as a major for college

mike_robins

<p>The catch is that so would several million other would-be photographers.</p>

<p>It's not an impossible dream, but it may be as difficult as, or even more difficult than, becoming a major league baseball pitcher.</p>

<p>You need talent, practice in the 'trenches', and a huge amount of luck.</p>

<p>Many artistic and landscape photographers find it a good idea to have a "day job" like other artists do - teaching is one of the best.</p>

<p>Another trouble these days is that with digital, everybody's a photographer. People selling their products below cost because it's mostly a hobby with them, can make it very difficult for a professional full-time photographer to make a living.</p>

<p>Live your dream, but realistically plan for some backups in case the "luck" doesn't come.</p>

<p>I would recommend, if you're going to college, you work on a degree in business that you could use with your photography business or as a door opener for the HR department of a business to possibly get a day job. I know several photographers who can make fab images but need a day job or they would starve.<br /> If this doesn't sound good to you, call professional photographers near where you live and see if any would hire you or mentor you or provide a seminar on the photography business.</p>

<p>I would suggest you practice your lines too. Repeat several times a day, "Do you want fries with that?"</p>

<p>I don't want to completely discourage anyone from following a passion, but it is important to be realistic. You can expect to work for National Geographic with about the same odds as you can expect to make the PGA tour. Actually, it's probably easier to make the tour.</p>

<p>I am also good at making music but that's a hard thing to get a lot of money from. I have been watching a lot of videos by Karl Taylor( does he only do photography) or does he have a day job as well? I would think if you are good enough and you promote yourself well. Then someone will find you right? What be a fallback option for me?</p>

<p>Mike,<br>

William makes a good suggestion, one that I give to my high school students or young photographers who ask me about photography as a career. A degree in business or journalism would be the best thing to do, in my opinion. You can learn a lot of photography on your own, in workshops, or by working with someone, but running a business is hard work.<br>

A friend of mine went to the Hallmark Institute of Photography and is doing quite well for himself as a wedding/portrait/commercial photographer. I also met a young lady while I was on vacation who went there and was taking pictures of tourists as they boarded a sailboat.<br>

I also have a friend who worked for National Geographic for ten years. He started out as journalism major, worked for a newspaper, then managed to work for National Geographic. He now is a nature photographer, writes books, and has his own publishing company.<br>

Photography is a harder and harder field to make money in for the average photographer. Everyone with a camera is a photographer, even a recent graduate of mine is doing portraits and has a nifty Facebook page.<br>

Your best bet at this point is to shoot for your school yearbook or newspaper and try to find a local photographer to let you assist (carry bags). Shoot as much as you can, build a portfolio, and learn as much as you can.</p>

<p>Best of luck!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I was a teacher for 30 years. I had a lot of students who wanted to be ballplayers or entertainers, and my advice to them was to have a Plan B. My advice to you is to major in English or journalism or whatever interests you, and minor in photography. I think that you'll find that when you get to college and become exposed (no pun intended) to a lot of subjects your interests and major may change anyway. I started out a civil engineering major then a psych major for a few hours and finally an economics major.</p>

<p>I will offer an alternative point of view as someone with a doctorate in a very esoteric field (classical music) and many years of college teaching:<br>

The subject of your undergraduate degree <strong>does not matter</strong>. Where the subject does does matter is in your graduate work, especially in today's world, where everyone has a BA and you must have a graduate degree to set yourself apart. All that matters in your undergraduate work is that you get <strong>good grades and recommendations </strong>and take some coursework that looks to the future and shows some amount of rigor. For example, if you end up applying to medical school, you need to take 4/5 science courses and the MCAT. For law school, grades and the LSAT are what counts.</p>

<p>Personally I have tried to integrate photography into my carreer, I have studied and have formal photographic qualifications but it is not my day job, I work as a project manager in Construction and get the opportunity to use my photography in my work, Architects often get me to photograph completed jobs or work in progress. I find it a great balance as it also lets me enjoy my photography without having to worry about where my next dollar is comming from. I am mindful of individuals who need this work full time, So i use market rates and contracts when i take on work.<br>

I would suggest that photography can be a tool to get the carreer you want. and who knows that may lead to National Geographic, Dont let fear stand in your way!</p>