Help - trying to rewind/remove film on a Pentax ME Super?

sinead_longden

<p>I just bought a Pentax ME Super that I think already has film in it. It just reached the number 36 and the rapid wind lever won't move anymore. I followed these instructions from the manual on a website:<br /> I lifted up the rewind crank, pressed the film rewind button and then turned the rewind crank as indicated. Then it says the film rewind indicator should flicker and it's not. It says 'rewind until the tension on the crank lessons' but there wasn't any tension to begin with. Please help - have I broken this camera already? Thanks. The website I used was: <a href="http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_me_super-2.pdf">http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_me_super-2.pdf</a></p>

<p>I told you to get a digital camera - no film loading/unloading with it and thus no such problems. Welcome to the world of film!<br /><br />Why don't you just open the camera and see what's inside. If it's not your film, it doesn't matter whether it's fully rewinded or just partially rewinded. If film is stuck in there, take it out and see what part of the rewinder mechanism is stuck, then see if you can fix it. Don't force anything and take it to a shop if you think there might be a problem.<br>

If there is no tension, the film is probably already rewinded or there is no film at all.</p>

<p>Just lift the rewind crank a little more. Should unlock the door at the back of the camera.<br>

While you were shooting the end of the film, you might have notice the rewind crank spinning while you were cocking the shutter? Otherwise there is definitely no film in it. Especially if you can't feel any tension/resistance from the turning the rewind crank. I guess you're turning it clockwise?</p>

<p>The counter can say "36" and not wind on even when there is no film in it if it was fired without film in it and wound on.<br>

First put the dial to "125X". If the dial won't move, then hold down the little white button and turn the big black dial. The 125X setting is for flash and it is mechanical so it doesn't need batteries. Then press the shutter button. The shutter should trip and you can wind the wind on lever. If you can't then the camera is jammed. While you wind on the lever, watch the rewind crank on the left. If it moves, then you have film in the camera, if not then there is no film.<br>

So now you have confirmed that the shutter works and it winds and the film status, you need to open the back. First if there is film in it, then press and hold the little rewind button on the bottom of the camera and wind the rewind crank in the direction of the arrow. Keep winding for like 1 minute to be sure.<br>

Now open the back by lifting the rewind crank up. It will lift up easily then at the end be harder to lift. Keep lifting and the back will pop up eventually. If it doesn't want to go any further and the back isn't popping up, then keep the crank up and try to gently open the back yourself. The light seals might be dead and gunky and sticking the back door on. If it still doesn't want to move then the back is jammed and you will need to just open it with brute force :)<br>

Here is a disassembly manual so you can get the back off.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.mypentax.com/PentaxMeSuper.html">http://www.mypentax.com/PentaxMeSuper.html</a></p>

<p>The camera isn't worth so much so you might as well give it a go repairing it. I used that guide and brought back my black ME Super to life in no time. Keep trying because its a great camera to use ;)</p>

<p>You said you lifted the rewind crank and tried to rewind it. Did the crank freewheel, with little or no resistance at all?</p>

<p>You are not supposed to lift the crank, yet. When you lift the crank, you disengage the little forked shaft that engages the spindle in the film cannister. Simply unfold the crank, so that the tiny knob is out and you can turn the crank. Press the rewind button on the bottom of the camera and rewind turn the crank. Do you feel any tension now? You should, but it should not be excessive.</p>

<p>When the film is fully rewound into the cannister, the crank will once again turn freely, with no resistance. This tells you that you are done.</p>

<p>NOW, lift the crank. Now, lift if some more. It is spring loaded to press back down after this, so you should feel some resistance. This will open the latch that holds the back shut. The inside of your camera should now be exposed, in all its glory.</p>

<p>Upon rereading the thread before I posted this, I noticed Walter's suggestion. I had forgotten this. I think my Spotmatic used to do this. If you partially advanced the film after the last exposure, the rewind button doesn't release the internal sprocket wheel that engages the film. His trick will allow the cocking mechanism to complete its travel, without really advancing any film (there isn't any more to advance).</p>

<p>P.s. You need to hold the rewind button down the entire time you are rewinding. Otherwise it can pop back out and re-engage the sprocket wheel, preventing the film from rewinding.</p>

<p>Geez, I'm feeling old. Its not like film has been gone all THAT long. These threads always seem like somone is asking how to start a 1917 model T ford, or something.</p>

<p>Paul Noble</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Geez, I'm feeling old. Its not like film has been gone all THAT long. These threads always seem like somone is asking how to start a 1917 model T ford, or something.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No, but some people have been around for too little ;)</p>

<p>some old ( well fairly new to me)<br>

camera do require the rewind button to be pressed wile advancing the film after exp 36<br>

often when the shutter is cocked , then the button can be pressed and the film rewould<br>

some cameras require the button to be held in<br>

others do not. it may of may not pop back up. possibly when the next roll is loaded.</p>

<p>Concerning the had-=cranked car. Keep your thumb WITH the fingers.<br>

DO NOT war your thumb around the handle.<br>

this greatly reduces the chances of breaking your arm if the engine "kicks back"<br>

You do not try to "wind the car or tractor engine up":<br>

with the thumb and fingers TOGETHER, you are supposed to<br>

pull the engine over a time or two.( up asnd over) and retard the spark setting<br>

this greatly reduces the chance of a kick back.<br>

the moies you see of a airman craning an airplane engine, are a different kind of starter.<br>

You spin up a flywheel and then release it. by a button or lever.<br>

it is an INERTIA starter.<br>

( do not try this at home with a camera)</p>

To add to Paul Noble's description, you don't need to hold the rewind button in for the whole rewind. What happens is that the button will not stay in *if* the shutter has been only partially cocked. Since I almost always start rewinding when the wind lever indicates that the film has ended, i.e. in the middle of cocking the shutter, the rewind button will pop out under reverse/rewind pressure.

I hold the button in and rewind a few turns. Then release button, wind film forward to fully cock the shutter, push the rewind button in, and now it will stay in without being held down.

Just be certain not to fire the shutter after the partial rewind, for obvious reasons..

<p>If all else fails, put the camera in a changing bag or draw the curtains and wrap several layers of blankets around the camera and your hands. Open the back and slowly unroll the film out of the camera and back into the film cartridge. Occasionally a rewind mechanism gets stuck halfway through a cycle. Sometimes, people wind too hard on the last frame and strip film. This works with that, too. You can also have a plastic film can ready in case there are several pieces of film. Color film is more susceptible to any stray light leaks. Be more careful with it.</p>

<p>Interestingly enough, I also recently picked up a Pentax ME Super with a roll of film already in it. It also came with three lenses, three cases, some filters and a flash. The batteries in the flash were stamped best before 2006, so I'm guessing that film is fogged up beyond all recognition. Worth mentioning here, film has a best before date. Don't be alarmed if roll that was forgotten in the camera when it was sold doesn't turn out.<br>

Best of luck to you with that. I ruined the first roll I ran through my father's petri 7s because I didn't have the rewind button in all the way for part of it and the film tore.</p>