triggering options for Hensel lights

plangereis

<p>Hi. I am new to studio lighting, and my sister has graciously allowed me to borrow some Hensel lights and stands. My question is what my options for triggering these lights. I have a number of PC sync cords with this kit, but I am not sure how to use those (or other remote triggers). I am using a Canon 40D, and it has a sync cord plug, but if I want to use both lights, do I need another item to use them both at the same time? Can I use the built in flash on my 40D to optically trigger these lights? If I use the supplied sync cables, do I hook up one to the camera, and set the other to slave? Can using sync cables lead to more problems, such as frying my sync port etc, as I have heard of these kinds of issues. If I buy pocket wizards or an equivalent, will they work with another set of lights once my sister asks for the Hensels back? I do plan on getting studio lights or possibly speedlites one day. Thanks for your help in advance!<br>

Paul</p>

<p>The simplest way is the pc sync cord. Plug one end into one of the flashes, the other end into the standard PC socket on your camera. It should trigger that flash when you take a picture. To fire the other flash, make sure that it's turned on of course. Then there is a switch that turns the optical slave on or off. If it's on, then when the first flash fires its flash should be automatically detected and trigger the second flash. If they're too far away and the light from the first flash isn't falling onto the second flash then you may find it fails to trigger however.</p>

<p>The more reliable way is to use radio triggers. The most recent studio Hensels include a radio receiver. Otherwise you need to plug a radio receiver into the sync socket of the flash. And of course, you will need a compatible transmitter on the camera.</p>

<p>Probably best to get everything working via the PC sync cord before trying anything fancy with radio triggers.</p>

<p>Best thing to do when exploring lighting is to think ahead as much as possible. With careful investigation, you can make selections that allow you to grow without losing money on seemingly inexpensive initial choices. </p>

<p>Remote triggering is one of those things that require forward thinking. Portability is another.</p>

<p>Personally, if starting fresh today I would not begin by selecting a system of lights that use only dumb remote radio triggers ... at least not anymore. For example, Hensel offers a radio system that allows you to control the R type strobes from the camera position. Elinchrom also has that ability with the SkyPort radio system and RX type lights, and now Profoto has begun moving from Pocket Wizards to their own AIR radio remote system with remote control ability using AIR equipped lights. Interestingly, Hensel has recently announced inclusion of the AIR system in some of their portable lighting ... so I shelved any interest in the mobile Porty Lithium kit until that is implemented. </p>

<p>The value of this becomes apparent when a head is inclosed in a soft-box, or is 12 feet up on a stand, or located in the far background. </p>

<p>Take your time, and explore carefully based not only on what you may need now, but give yourself room to grow.</p>

<p>-Marc</p>

<p>Thanks Marc. I totally agree, and have noticed that many lighting manufacturers are supplying their own remote triggering systems. The one question that was not answered yet was :<br>

Should I get a sync voltage protection unit if I use the sync cables that are in the kit? <br>

I am assuming these units plug into your hotshoe. I ask because I could not find the voltage output with these lights in the manuals.</p>