iPad for image backup, on the job

jason_b10

<p>Any wedding photographers use the iPad for the purpose of backing up your photos, while on the job? Pros/Cons?</p>

<p>I understand the space constraints, but can't justify springing for a similarly priced Epson P-7000 (or alike), and I'm intrigued by the iPad's other uses (for both photography and on the job presentation, applications and other goodies). The screen real-estate is an additional bonus.</p>

<p>I shoot raw, and with CF cards so I'd need to use the USB camera attachment (with a CF card reader). Is it painfully slow transferring raw images?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>I also think it's safer to back up at home. If you do it in the heat of a wedding, there's too much risk of mislaying a compact flash card, accidentally deleting something, corrupting something, missing a folder (will you download them a second time, calmer at home, or just make a copy of your back up to work from?) and so on.</p>

<p>Better to guard the cards with your life, kept in one place where you won't lose track of any of them, and download them in a calm, controlled environment.</p>

<p>"backing up your photos, while on the job?"</p>

<p>I don't backup on the job.</p>

<p>I pay attention, get immersed with, the things going on at each event.</p>

<p>Technicials I have down before each event. They don't concern me during the gig.</p>

<p>Hope this helps you.</p>

<p>By "<em>on the job</em>" I mean after the event has concluded, of course. And while backing up the images is less important to me if I am shooting close to home; traveling is where it becomes more worrisome (unfortunately, we do a lot of traveling). It would just be nice to know that I have the images secured on multiple devices, should the unthinkable happen.</p>

<p>That being said, everyone brought up a great point regarding the security of the iPad. Surprisingly, this is usually the first thing I think about when considering a new portable electronic. Too much Jobs/Apple kool-aid I guess. My boss is pushed me towards the Nexto DI; something she uses. In comparison it's inexpensive, fast and has much more storage capacity. It has no preview screen and its only purpose is to make copies of the media -- all I need.</p>

<p>thanks for your input</p>

<p>I've only seen it done once at a wedding we were at that had a HUGE issue happen in the middle with a fire near the reception location, so everything got delayed by about 2-3 hours. The photographer I was 2nd shooting for plugged it in and it seemed to go fairly quickly. Then to keep the bride and some of the guests in good spirits showed a slide show on the iPad. People loved it. The photographer had an iPad case for it in addition to the little leather portfolio that makes it possible to set it up like a frame. This made it look a bit more just like regular camera equipment than an iPad sitting out. </p>

<p>He also used it when we were in the bridal suite while the bridesmaids and the bride were getting ready to show the engagement shots. It was very popular then. I don't think he regularly uses it to back up his images though.</p>

<p>oof, didn't think the eye-fi would work with my camera (CF card), but just noticed the SD --> CF card adapter. With a pocket router (mi-fi, Clear iSpot, et al), I could transfer the images to the iPad without taking it out of my bag. Security problem solved :) j/k</p>

<p>I'll probably purchase the low-capacity iPad some time down the road for fun on the road, but not for the job. </p>

<p>I use an iPad at the reception to show a small selection of the bridal prep, ceremony, and formal shots from earlier in the day. This is very, very popular among guests. There's a risk that the iPad will disappear, but the reward is significant enough to offset the risk.</p>

<p>As for backup, however, I don't think it's suitable. The iPad can <em>read </em>RAW files, but I don't think it <em>stores</em> RAW files. I'm not completely sure about this, but I believe it converts the image as it downloads it, and that the resolution of the image stored in the iPad is lower than the original (not to mention the fact that it is also converted to jpg). So, no: I wouldn't use it as a backup method.</p>

<p>I think the iPad is more suited for studio work with commercial clients and portrait/senior/baby photo clients, but not so much for weddings ... especially for back-up (which I personally think is a bit dangerous at a hectic wedding). I wonder how reliable WiFi transfers are when shooting at any distances or with lots of obstacles? </p>

<p>However, the technology is advancing at a ferocious rate, so that may change with time. Commercial applications tend to lead the way for stuff like this.</p>

<p>For example, Hasselblad's upcoming post processing software (Phocus v2.6) will allow remote wireless viewing by clients on an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch rather than gathering around the operator's tethered computer. In addition, there will be Phocus Mobile which allows the photographer to remotely trigger a tethered camera while controlling all camera functions from an iDevice ... an application available soon at the Apple App Store.</p>

<p>For multiple wedding applications I think <strong>the new Apple MacBook Air</strong> is more versatile and intriguing. It is all solid state Flash storage, so less susceptible knocks compared to moving hard drive; the 13" version provides 7 hours of battery time; unlike the iPad, it can be hooked up to a separate 27" monitor; The 13" version has USB2 port and an SD card port. It's more expensive, but does a lot more in terms of versatility for the wedding shooter on the go.</p>

<p> </p>