saving metadata in lightroom

<p>Okay, it sounds like you've created a metadata preset that includes the information you want. If so, then to apply it on Import, select your preset in the Metadata pull-down, which you'll find in the Apply During Import panel on the right side of the Import window.</p>

<p>To apply your preset to existing files, select them all, then select your preset in the Preset pulldown, which you'll find at the top of the Metadata panel on the right side in Library.</p>

<p>Bridge has robust metadata functions so I use Bridge to add metadata. Switching programs is a pain, however (golly how spoiled we are!) I agree that Lightroom (2.5) is confusing. It stores the metadata template file in some obscure place. I have custom templates but I cannot find them. </p>

<p>(First, i dont' like being forced to use catalogs. Another example, make a catalog, store it in the image folder, then import files. Lightroom does not look at the previously used catalog, not the one you just made. you have to navigate to that new catalog to import files.) </p>

<blockquote>

<p>It stores the metadata template file in some obscure place. I have custom templates but I cannot find them.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Only if you don’t know how to ask it to show you! Go into Preferences. Select Preset tab, click on “show Lightroom user presets” and you’ll find that custom metadata template and more.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>(First, i dont' like being forced to use catalogs. Another example, make a catalog, store it in the image folder, then import files. Lightroom does not look at the previously used catalog, not the one you just made. you have to navigate to that new catalog to import files.)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Then you don’t want to be using a DAM and do want to use Bridge, which is a simple browser is better for you. Many <strong>do</strong> need a DAM, that’s what separates LR from Bridge in a big way. And if you insist on using multiple catalogs, you force yourself into a convoluted workflow on purpose. Unless you have half a million or so images, stick with one catalog. And you can set LR to open the last used catalog or a specific catalog (check the preferences again).</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>depends what you want to show up and where;<br>

the way to go would be to go to lib > metadata > preset > create a new preset // this would be <a href="http://www.iptc.org/site/Home/">IPTC </a>standard but some of the fields like artist, keywords,... would show up in EXIF too.<br>

just read through the IPTC ( international press & telecommunication council ) and you'll love it to apply your presets; but beware of embedding keywords in presets otherwise you will always apply these to any session you use a preset for;<br>

if you're ready with the form select your stack and sync;<br>

regards</p>

<p>Andrew. First, I have three books on lightroom which I consider poorly written. Scott Kelby's book index does not list the term "catalog." I also happen to enjoy a thick technical manual and learn best with them. Second, i attended a workshop on Lightroom at a PPA (Massachusetts - PPAM) conference where the so-called expert recommended keeping separate catalogs for every shooting session. I have followed his advice for three years. Ouch! </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have three books on lightroom which I consider poorly written. Scott Kelby's book index does not list the term "catalog."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sad considering the term catalog is used throughout the application (Catalog Settings, New Catalog, Open Catalog etc). </p>

<blockquote>

<p> Second, i attended a workshop on Lightroom at a PPA (Massachusetts - PPAM) conference where the so-called expert recommended keeping separate catalogs for every shooting session. I have followed his advice for three years.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Did they tell you why? Here are some reasons why not. First off, you can’t access data in catalog B while catalog A is open. You can’t easily sync up user settings (templates, presets) as you’ve witnessed. You can’t produce smart collections or do squat with anything not in the presently open catalog. About the <strong>ONLY</strong> advantage of multiple catalogs would be speed when you get a pretty significant amount of images into the DAM (well over a hundred thousand+). IOW, multiple catalogs almost have zero advantages and lots of disadvantages. So why did the so called expert suggest having separate catalogs? </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>That so-called expert was the worst presenter I ever heard. Most of those attending (about 80) agreed. I was just dumb enough to follow some of his advice. I wonder how these people ever get to publish books? (he has a couple publications). <br>

It won't be hard for me to make a catalog for the work I have done in 2010. I keep all family photos in folders labeled by the date taken and the subject. I have only 45 or so folders to open. I suppose I can eventually add the folders from 2004 through 2009. <br>

If you know of one superior book on basic lightroom I would like to know it. I use it's development settings extensively. </p>

<p>Its easy to combine the catalogs. Go into each, use the Export as Catalog Command, then take any of the catalogs you did not export above and use the Import as Catalog command. You will combine all the catalogs and get all the presets, collections etc into one. <br>

In terms of a great resource for Lightroom, start here:<br>

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/lr3.shtml</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I just started using LR, but for all Metadata, etc. I use Photomechanic. It is faster and has a ton of more options for data than LR or Bridge.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>from "photomechanics "</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You can quickly rotate, preview, copy, delete, tag, watermark, rename, resize, and add IPTC metadata...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>-> when import in LR simply create a new preset and fill in all the field the IPTC provided for photographers, no need to do this in another app; you can save your presets according to jobs or whatever you just did, add meta tags in meta filed;... what would you want more ?<br>

LR is an app that'S sooo extremely fool proof, one really wonders why people write or buy books bout it;<br>

you understand the RAW format so what isn't intuitive enough within LR ?<br>

cheers</p>

<p>Nikolai,<br>

I had PM prior to LR when I was doing stuff for local papers and they had more customized fields, etc. that needed to be filled that LR couldn't handle, at least not prior to LR3. <br>

I know the military requires info in fields that PS and LR don't have.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.opensourcephoto.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=50400">http://www.opensourcephoto.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=50400</a></p>

<p>hi anthony<br>

can't be a big thing to set up a custom template for that; just googled and there are already scripts;<br>

do you "tag" your pics after LR then or doesn't LR care bout the extra data ?<br>

cheers</p>

<p>I tag before. I don't use all the fields that some require. I am curious though how they would transition in LR.<br>

What I like about PM is that it is FAST and I can run it on any device regardless of resolution. When I am at a big sporting event and I have my laptop or wife's netbook, I use PM to cull the images. The star ratings and Metadata transfer to LR. This way I don't have to merge catalogs, etc.<br>

I was very much against LR but the more I use it, the more I love it.<br>

I think the speed issue is that PM uses the Raw file's embedded Jpeg for previews which makes them load faster.</p>

<p>I wish I could get round the catalog issue with LR 3 . its brilliant t in some ways. I have to use it to convert and edit NEF files; but I have had disastrous losses of data with it and it fills up My C drive. <br>

At the moment I have to rename the files usig CS3/4 edit the NEFs and then tag in CS3/4 I then have to delete the LR Catalogs as it screws up my C drive. <br>

There must be a better solution than this?</p>

<p>Dave P., what exactly is "the catalog issue"? How does it "screw up" your C drive?</p>

<p>Are you saying that the catalog and previews take up space, which is a problem for you? Then Lightroom (or any database-type asset management tool) isn't for you. It's fundamental to the concept.</p>