Any experience with the Induro CT114 tripod? Or bigger CT214?

john_bald

<p>Time to swap a heavy old Manfrotto 055C for a carbon fiber setup, so... The specs for the Induro CT 114 look very attractive (including the price). For about $60 more there's the bigger CT214. Anyone using either of these Induro tripods? I don't live near a major camera store to try them out.</p>

<p>My gear is a Canon 5D, Kirk BH-3 & L-bracket, biggest lens probably 70-200 f/2.8. Most often I shoot seascapes, so I'm on rocky shorelines, sand, marshes. I want one good tripod for all around use, including flying with a carry-on suitcase - i.e., the tripod needs to fold down to less than 23 inches (58cm).</p>

<p>Thank you,<br />John<br /><a href="http://www.johnbald.net/gallery/">http://www.johnbald.net/gallery/</a></p>

<p>Hi John. I shoot an Induro CX213, which is a bit different from a CT214, so I can only offer some general comments.</p>

<ul>

<li>You can beat the snot out of an Induro 2 series. I've shot a Nikon D3 (think 1Ds III) and a 300mm f2.8 with teleconverter, and occasionally a 500m f4 off that tripod.</li>

<li>You will find yourself breaking down the legs for cleaning occasionally. It's not hard.</li>

<li>The CT should be a little stronger than the CX because it doesn't have the articulated column (but I love the articulated column, it was the reason I replaced my 10 year old Hakuba in the first place). Personally, if I was in a marsh, I'd often be getting down close to stuff, and would want the CX column.</li>

<li>The 214 is a bit weaker than the 213, the four segment legs have very skinny bottom segments, just 19mm. It's a pretty high "price" for the 4 inches of folded length you save with a 214 over a 213. If you're looking at a 1 series, look at a 113 instead of a 114, it should fit your size requirements.</li>

</ul>

<p>OK, that's all I've got at the moment.</p>

<p>Joseph, thank you for that excellent info. Great point, the CT-113 is under 23" folded (just), so why not go for the 3 section model? I should have thought of that. Thanks. </p>

<p>Thank you, Tim, but no I think the CT series is what I'd like.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>I promised myself I'd come back and report on my experience. I ordered two Induro models: the CT-113 (max load 17 lbs; 3 leg sections) and the CT-214 (max load 26 lbs; 4 leg sections). Both models fold up to fit into a carry-on suitcase, i.e., 23" or less. <br>

The CT113 and CT214 are well made and have a quality feel to them. The CT113 is amazingly light, and even though the 3rd extension of the legs (the part that is closest to the ground when the legs are extended) is VERY thin in diameter, I have to say the tripod felt steady. If I did multi-mile hiking and needed every last piece of gear to be small/light, the CT-113 would have been my choice. <br>

However, I kept the larger CT-214 and sent back the CT-113. The CT-214 was just right, it's bigger but it's still only 3.3 lbs and 20.9 inches folded up. It just felt more substantial than the CT-113. Now, the 4th leg extension (the part closest to the ground) on the 214 is the same thin, narrow diameter as the corresponding leg extension of the CT-113, but with the 214 model you often don't need that part of the leg to fully extended. Even extended only half way, the tripod can still have a useful total height. So I don't know if my logic is completely sound from an engineering perspective, but I can sum up my decision this way: I liked the CT214 because it's a little taller (3") and the legs are, for the most part, bigger. <br>

I've used the CT-214 a couple of times so far, and I find that (1) Carbon fiber legs are quite a bit lighter than aluminum legs - wow, it's hard to believe the CF legs can do the job; (2) I prefer flip locks on my old Manfrotto 055C over the twist locks on the Induros & Gitzos. I'll get used to the twist locks, but the flip locks were simpler and more convenient; (3) the [whatchamacallits] at the top of the legs which allow each leg to be opened out to a great angle -- really don't like the Induro's design because you have to carefully slide the thing to the unlock position, then move the leg out, then push the thing back in to lock it. The design of the same part on Manfrotto legs is much easier to use. You unlock it with your thumb, move the leg, then it automatically snaps back into locking position. Much smarter design, where that part is concerned. <br>

Anyway, I do like the CT214 overall. I have no urge to return it for another model. It does its job well, it looks great (nice dark color), it's light, and I'm getting used to twist leg locks! It's a keeper.</p>