College Soccer

chuck_mitchell

<p>Wow...I was just awarded my first press pass!! It is for college soccer and I was wondering if you guys out there that do this kind of thing all the time could recommend what equipment (lens) to take. I will be shooting a D300s and the game is at 1pm. i have a 70-200 - 2.8, a 120-300 - 2.8, and a 120-400 - 4.5. I also have numerous other shorter range lens options. </p>

<p>Any suggestion, pointers, etc would be greatly appreciated!!!</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Chuck</p>

<p>You could get away with the 70-200 IF you are able to roam from end to end but definitely go with the 120-300 when you have the option, just rotate to portait orientation (or shoot it the entire time, and save post-cropping time) for those shots that come inside the 120 short range of the lens. Then, since you announced your press pass here... post pictures of your results afterwards!</p>

<p>An 80-400/2.8 would be perfect but they don't exist. Everything else is a compromise. I have used a 400/2.8 and a 200/2, with and without 1.4x converters, and currently use an 80-200/2.8 with 1.4x. If you want to take just one lens I recommend the 120-300/2.8. You could shoot half the game with the 120-300, and the other half with the 80-200 at closer range. Go for different style shots with each.</p>

<p>While it is nice to shoot portrait to maximize image size I have found it to be very demanding keeping up with the action. This is partly the camera orientation even though I have the extra shutter button but primarily the limited horizontal view to follow the action.</p>

<p>I have experimented with shooting angles as well, and I think this comes to personal taste, but also greatly depends on the background as well, and whether or not it interferes with the subject. The lower the angle the more stuff in the background, the higher the angle the more field surface you get in the foreground/background. </p>

<p>My overall preference is to shoot from behind the goal line as most of the action comes towards you at the end of the field. Be very careful about where the sun is as shadows greatly effect the faces.</p>

<p>Good chatting with you via e-mail, Chuck. Since you'll be using single body, I'd stay with 120-300 f2.8 and situate at endline toward a corner so that you'll get a narrower angle (90-degree) of coverage which is easier to track. Though I'd be tempted to moved to midfield by touchline to shoot into the goal as well. Had you had a 400mm, they you could've shot opposite goal from the other endline. Though you'll probably shoot lots of verticals, there is no hard and fast rule about shooting vertical only and in fact since your longest FL is 300mm, you'll want to shoot distant action (past midfield) horizontally to fill action and convey conflicts between opposing players. Just my 2 cents. ^_^</p>