Not enough memory error during raw conversion to jpeg

marlin_penton

<p>Hey, I'm trying to process my canon 7d full raw images into jpegs(400 of them). I keep getting an error that there is not enough memory. I made gobs of new disk space and assigned a nearly empty drive to the second scratch disk in CS4. <br>

I can get the bad images to process after I restart my newish pc. Happens in 32 and 64 bit versions of cs4.<br>

Any ideas as to why this is happening?</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I can get the bad images to process after I restart my newish pc.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I am still using XP, but at least through XP, terminated windows programs tend to leave bits of locked up memory behind. It is always best to reboot before doing highly memory-intensive work. I had this happen just last night: tried to align two images (smaller, because I have a 50D), and CS5 refused, even after I shut everything else down. I rebooted, and everything functioned fine.</p>

<p>I don't know, but it might also help to fuss with Photoshop's own memory settings (under preferences, I think)</p>

<p>First thing. Hard drive space ( I made gobs of new disk space and assigned a nearly empty drive to the second scratch disk in CS4. ) is not memory. It's just storage space. Memory is RAM. When a program works on something it puts it in RAM to manipulate it. 400 shots is a LOT of somethings to work on. Depending on the size of each file, or course. How much RAM does your PC have ? 1Gig ? 2 Gig ? more ?</p>

<p>Second, as was mentioned, other things need to use RAM as your computer is running. You can see them listed and how much they are using by using the "task manager". Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and click on the "Processes " tab. You can then click on the memory column to sort by usage. With a photo editing program, it's usage goes up, the more things your are editing. The 64 bit version of CS4 may take up MORE than the 32bit version. Try each and see what the chart says.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If you're using PS (and not Bridge) then chances are PS is trying to open ALL images at the same time and process them accordingly. That would indeed give you an "out of memory" error, even if you had 100GB in RAM. Try and do the conversion through Bridge or some other DAM software such as LR (which can easily handle more than 400 images).</p>

<p>As it has been, very correctly, pointed out, hard disk space and memory are entirely different things.</p>