Thinking About a New MP

<p>I've been thinking about purchasing a new Leica MP. As I am now in my early 60's, I no longer want to lug my Linhofs or Hasselblads around. Back in 2006 I purchased a used M6 Classic and then added a new 50mm Elmar M, 35mm Summicron and 90mm Elmarit M. I later added a 50mm Summicron. This system has proved to be a wonderfully liberating travel system. The picture quality is outstanding. Maybe not the equal of the medium format but for the size of prints I am making, it is perfect. The camera itself is a joy to use. As my M6 is approaching about 25 years old and as Leica may or may not be building film cameras for much longer, it has occured to me that a new MP should last as long as me without any difficulty. If I stick with my M6 and I am still photographing 20 years from now, it will be about 45 years old which may or may not be OK. As I have never seen an MP in person, I have a question about the rewind knob. I assume that it pulls straight up to rewind. How does it handle the tension on the film as it nears the end. There is enough tension in my M6 that the knob tends to want to spin backwards a bit to relieve the tension but at least there is the small fold out crank to hang on to. Is this a problem in the MP. Any comments or advice are welcome. Thanks.</p>
William D. Lester

To answer specifically about the rewind crank, it works as you've described.

The crank has sufficient tension that it does not move without finger action - in either direction. So an almost fully rewound

film will remain in place if you take your fingers off. One of the reasons I greatly prefer the MP over the M6/M7, as I often

had the same problem as you with losing grip on the crank and the film unwinding itself.

The MP also has a better viewfinder - or more specifically an extra comdensor lens in the rangefinder - which prevents

white out and ensures consistent contrast in all light levels. Which is the other reason I prefer it over the M6.

<p>IMHO simply forget about a "new" MP. I purchased M6 thinking my M3 was getting long in the tooth.Get a newish M6, classic or TTL. I have the TTL but truly wish I had the Classic. Shutter dial same as M3. It has now nearly outlasted me. The BIG question is the future availability of film and even sooner the lack of process labs.<br>

I love film but shoot more and more digital. You cannot turn the clock back (on your past or)to the technology.Maybe consider a small digital digicam. Way easier to carry. Your M3 will outlast you.I am 67 and for sure my M3 used professionally all over the world with thousands of rolls through it. The pressure plate has tracks of wear. The shutter was totally rebuilt. So if you've not shot more than 4~5000 rolls ,your shutter more than OK.<br>

I love the inboard meter on the M6 but still use the M3 way more often.</p>

<p>Hm. I am somewhat more than half your age and I hope MY M6 classic will outlast me. Just sold my M4 which (almost) predates both of us. Worked like a charm. Even the MP will need CLA's - so hopefully a few guys that service those gems will still be around.... Then again, compared to the M9, which will probably NOT outlast any of us, the MP seems like a bargain..... :)</p>

<p>If you can afford the Leica MP Bill, I would go for it. I finally had the opportunity to handle one the other day and the quality is outstanding. It could very well be the best made of all the other Leica M bodies. It certinly feels more solid than my wife's Leica M6 and the shutter is more quiet than my M2 or M4. Get one while Leica still makes them.</p>

<p>I love the traditional post type rewind rather than the puny, hard to grasp, slanted, folding rewind crank. That little knob is almost impossible to keep ahold of whilst trying to rewind film in tiny circles with my big hands. The only thing I don't like about my M4 is that funky rewind mechanism.</p>

<p>The only problem you could expereince in the future that may not be fixable is with the meter of your M6. No one knows the lifetime. The rest is mechanical as long as Lieca will fix MP's they will fix M6's.<br>

The pull up knob of the MP is the same as the M3 and just an abomination to use. If you order ala carte, you can get an MP with an M7 style rewind.<br>

I have an M6 and two M7's and have never had a problem with the rewind lever.<br>

I had the viewfinders in both my M7's upgraded and frankly there is not much difference.<br>

Your M6 will do exactly the same thing as a new MP but if just want an MP, then purchase one.</p>

<p>Have to agree with Paul, the M2 is a real gem. My 1958 button-rewind model has never given me any problems and is a bit more solid than my 1967 M4. Neither the take-up spool nor the rewind knob are problematic for me. </p>

<p>I understand that there were changes to the materials used in both the gear trains as well as those used in the top plates on models after the M4. Perhaps Gus could comment on this. </p>

<p>Well John, Leica's choice of materials did change as they moved away from the <strong>pinnacle</strong> M3 model run. The angled rewind knob for one, necessitated the use of a pin/dowel design that was weaker than the direct gear method. There was a definite dip in quality in the late 60's through the early 70's. But that said, with care most any of the M camera models were long lasting photographic instruments.</p>

<p>Bill's thought to go MP, certainly isn't a bad choice. I just believe that an M6 TTL in the <strong>millennium versions</strong> is a better choice. They have among other things, the upgraded meter, larger M7 "logic" style speed dial, and all of the <strong>M3 design goodies</strong>. (Usually at a cheaper than MP price) And yes, it is the same quality...</p>

<p>Finally, M3 cameras are unequaled when it comes to RF accuracy; especially with <strong>minimal depth of field</strong> lenses or the max 135mm focal length. So keep those M3's...</p>

<p>One observation I have made here in Hawaii is that Leica M6 bodies with zinc top plates often corrode, especially if they get dinged, but sometimes the corrosion just starts to bubble up under the chrome for no apparent reason. This is called "zinc rot" in Hawaii, or "Zinkpest" in Germany.</p>

<p>My wife's Titanium M6 has a brass top plate so zinc rot will never be a problem. I would recommend to anyone who lives in a humid environment, close to the ocean, and/or, in the case of Hawaii, in sulfur dioxide laden air, go with a camera body that has a brass top plate. <a href="00UITb">Zinc rot is a heartbreaking phenomenon.</a></p>

<p>Both the Leica M6 TTL Millennium, and the Leica MP have brass top plates. Safe investments.</p>

<p>The main reason for thinking about the MP is that I probably would purchase a new camera body if I'm going to do this. I haven't considered the M7 because it has auto exposure and that is something that doesn't really interest me. I shoot strictly black and white which I process myself. I'm very comfortable with the metering system in my M6. I presume the MP is similar. Neither my Linhofs or Hasselblads have meters so while that isn't really an obstacle, the onboard meter in the M6 saves carrying one more thing and is extremely convenient. I know there are a lot of good used cameras available - my M6 was one of them and it is a superb picture taking tool. It had occured to me at one time to get a second M6 Classic and I haven't totally ruled that out. New Leica M cameras are expensive. It's just something that is on my mind and I certainly appreciate the responses.</p>
William D. Lester

At this point in history there may be very few with MPs or with properly lubricated and adjusted M2s and M3s. Since a first

class CLA of my M2 in 2007 my M2 rewind is easier to turn and has much less tendency to recoil like the M6. I now prefer

it. Of course the ratcheted larger crank M5 rewind is the best of all. My M6 classic shutter speed dial has a very stiff travel

from 1/60 to 1/30 which a different repairer could not rectify. I don't know how common that is and it wasn't like that ten

years ago. I expect my M2 to outlast me, and probably the M6 too. Sure I'd like an MP, but I don't think it will be any more

future insurance than the others.

<p>The svelte quality of the M3 or other earlier Leicas is undeniable. Like my former M3 and present M4-P what I miss most is the lack of a TTL meter. I get by with the M4 meter or a VC II meter, but in situations I use the Leica film camera (often quickly changing situations) a meterless camera is a hinder. Although I may never own one, I would be quite tempted to get an M7 for its alternative choice of auto exposure or TTL manual exposure (I think), the latter like the M6 and MP. I don't mind not having a meter in MF photography, as it is often slower and a little more methodical in any case. MP or M6? On a Q/P ratio decision it would be the latter, but the MP is probably the finest M camera from a build quality viewpoint. I wonder why the M7 is not more appreciated as a device for fast moving situations?</p>

<p>I've sold two M7's and replaced them with two MP's. The rewind knob works fine, and there is no need at all for the expensive little add-on handle. Why the change in the film cameras? The MP's feel different in use to the M7's. Smoother, slicker, quieter. If you enjoy the feel of good mechanicals, the MP is the one to satisfy. I should say that anyone looking for that final film camera, who isn't having to worry about the price difference vs. an M6, will prefer the MP.</p>

<p>I have an M3, an M2 and an MP. I also had a classic M6 which a friend of mine persuaded me to trade. I needed a particular Nikkor lens which he bought for me in exchange for the Leica. In the event this was really unfortunate for me because my Nikon D3 was stolen along with the new lens a few days after the trade.</p>

<p>I mention this because I have used all of these cameras and I can tell you which ones I prefer. Also in a sense I too have to make this choice. Using the D3 did help me to appreciate the advantages of modern technology. This means that I'm keen to get another digital camera. The D3 spoilt me. If I buy another DSLR it will have to have a 100% finder and it will have to be full frame. The alternative is a Leica M9. Either way I'll be parting with considerable treasure and this will entail selling some Leicas (as well as Hasselblads, Rollei's etc.) I will keep at least one Leica M body.</p>

<p>But which one? The reason that I was willing to trade the M6 rather than the others was partly because my friend wanted a camera with a meter and the MP was too expensive. Mainly I guess it was because the M6 was more or less equivalent in value to the Nikkor.<br />I do prefer the MP to the M6 but there isn't much in it. Also my MP is .85 whereas the M6 was .72. The MP is definitely more solid. But. I don't believe it's as solid as the M3.</p>

<p>I too agree with Paul. I love the aesthetics of the M2 and I really like the clean framelines. However my M2 is not as robust as my M3 and I'm not convinced that this isn't always the case.</p>

<p>In order to afford a new digital camera I expect that I will be parting with the MP. And this is not only because this sale will contribute the most. The M3 is the true classic and I'm fairly certain that it will be the one that I'll keep.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>M2, M3, M4, M5, M6, M7, MP, they ALL will take the same photograph with the same lens/film combination.<br>

If you want to take photographs, it really doesn't matter that much.<br>

If you want to fondle your camera, then it might.<br>

My vaunted M3 SS, #>1M, never gets used, no meter, no motor.<br>

My M6 is used primarily with the 21mm f2.8 ASPH and Metz handle unit or with a Leicavit.<br>

My two M7's always wear Motor M's and they are the quickest M's.<br>

I don't obsess over the feel of the controls, the cameras are tools, nothing else, but very nice tools.-Dick</p>

<p>Richard, I really disagree with the "tool" sentiment. What you say is 100% true, for some folks, but I've followed my cameras through the world and to me they are companions, not tools. They've showed me interesting places from Pablo Escobar's ranch in Antioquia, to cool Russian chicks in Yekaterinburg, Russia. From drinking tea during a wonderful sunset in Sumeria where I didn't take the camera out of the bag, to temples in India. From riding horseback with Para Militaries in the Magdelena Medio to shot down plains in Colombia. From a truck stop in New Mexico, to pyramids in Mexico, even on a motorcycle taxi in Lagos. To some a camera is only a tool, but for some like me, my cameras are my companions. Bratwurst is not a hot dog. As psycho as my movie is, I like it.</p>

<p>If I were a pro, maybe it would be just a tool, if I were a dog breeder, maybe dogs would just be a dog. But since I'm not, my dogs are my best friends and my cameras have shown me every continent (except Australia/NZ). Attached is a scene from the side of the road in Israel I would have never viewed if my M645Pro didn't show me as I was wizzing by at 65.</p>

<p>Dang, I should say something on topic. If you want an MP, get it. It's a nice camera. I would love to be able to pair one up with an M7 for different times.</p><div>00XXXL-293447584.jpg.af68387ea59b9d9d1966cc6b267ea44e.jpg</div>

<p>Michael,<br>

Nice shot with the Mamiya. I do miss my Mamiya 7 from time to time...<br>

But re: the MP, M6, etc. Such a personal decision and we've all made different choices haven't we? I sold my M6TTL and M7 to buy an MP. I kept my M2 and now I have my two favorite Leica Ms (and an M8 I use just because, well digital is darn convenient sometimes...) that I love to death and plan to use as long as film is made. Others would make a different choice and be just as right, or wrong, as me!</p>