so how do you know if your work is good enough?

calzphoto

<p>Okay ,you all were so helpful with my last question that I want to ask another.How do you know when your good enough to charge what others are charging. I know it is a stupid question,but I think my work is as good as some ,but not quite as good as others,but then I second guess myself.At what point did some of you look at your stuff and say "Yes I definately have talent that sets me apart from the herd?</p><div>00XWLT-292367584.jpg.6defe525cb868c0c7e907d259373fbd0.jpg</div>

Greetings! I cannot definitively answer your question, but I would say that when clients are requesting your work, you

have reached the point of being "commercially viable". As for determining what to charge, that is a complex decision

based on things like job logistics, market rate, unique job requirements, client relationship, etc. I also agree with Tony's

points! Let your passion guide you. Good luck!

<p>Tony is hitting the most important thing. You're charging to deliver a fully-formed, professional <em>experience</em> that does what the client needs. Being a good photographer is 5% of the matter. Mostly, you need to be able to finance and run a small business - which includes bookeeping, marketing, insurance, customer relations, and all of that non-photography stuff that will occupy most of your 80-hour work weeks. Camera time is a tiny, tiny fraction of all of that.<br /><br />It's the same reason that most chefs fail to run a viable restaurant ... because doing so is only barely about their own innovative, skilled talent in the kitchen.</p>

<p>If you have the gear to pull off professional assignments, able to deliver on time and there is a genuine demand for your paid services, there should not be anything getting in the way. Take into account the business side of things, as in costs, tax and insurance. If it all makes sense and you able to make a profit, go for it!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>How do you know when your good enough to charge what others are charging?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Why not post some work and ask for critique? The feedback might help you recognise your positioning, and you could assess whether you're ready yet.</p>

<p>In terms of what to charge, consider doing some competitor analysis by benchmarking people you think are (i) worse than you; (ii) better than you. Aim for pricing somewhere in the middle and do some market testing.</p>

<p>How good you are may have little to do with your ability to charge what others are charging. As many have already said, commercial viability is necessary but not sufficient. If there is a stable market space for your work, you might sell your wares.<br>

Charging what others do depends on what the market entry barriers might be. Those that are selling work, what ever that may be, have put marketing and capital resources into making people aware of what they have or can do. Until you do this, what you ask for and what you get for work may vary wildly.<br>

I know far more excellent artists/photographers than I do business men and even fewer who are both.</p>

<p>Regardless, best of luck.</p>

<p>Tony pretty much nailed it.</p>

<p>I have seen some of the crappiest images speaking from a comp/tech point of view; and these same images have made tons of money!</p>

<p>Matt indicated 5%. I'm more in the 80/20 bracket. 80% of my time is spent in NON-photographic pursuits (Business) and the remaining 20% is actual photography. (Shooting & PP)</p>

<p>I am totally convinced I could sell widgets and be financially successful. It just so happens I love photography, not widgets. The point is, and you have already heard it; being a professional photographer or being "good enough" has VERY little in common with being financial successful.</p>

<p>For some time I have wondered (why) these same question as yours keep (cropping) (pun) up?</p>

<p>I finally figured it out. PN is not a business school. It is a forum for photographers, NOT business people.<br>

PN does NOT offer business classes. PN does NOT offer sales classes. PN does NOT offer marketing classes.<br>

If it did, your question would be answered more completely.</p>

<p>Advice if you want to succeed in "The Business of Photography."</p>

<p>1) Take a class or 2 in general business concepts.<br>

2) Construct a business plan. Not sure what that is? #1 will teach you.<br>

Like legal advice, PN is no place to get sound business advice.<br>

3) Count the cost of operating a business, especially in photography.</p>

<p>Photography is one of the most overly saturated fields one can get into.<br>

To survive you must learn the difference between pretty pics and generating income.</p>

<p>Clearly all the posts here about business skills are dead on - professional photography is a business first and foremost - you need solid business skills to survive and have a good standard of living. Without those skills it doesn't matter how good you are - the world is full of extremely talented starving artists.</p>

<p>However - the work does actually matter too, and that was your question... </p>

<p>I think there is a problem with the phrasing of your question - being "good enough" is nothing to aim for. To truly succeed in this business for the long term, and do more than merely eke out a living, you need to excel at what you do and strive to be the best in your field. There are thousands of "good enough" photographers around, clogging the market with half hearted, derivative and bog standard images. All the people who have recently lost their jobs and happen to be enthusiastic amateur photographers are now pitching themselves as professional photographers, looking to make some income from their hobby.</p>

<p>The only way to stand head and shoulders above the rest is to commit yourself to continual improvement and learning, develop a unique, personal style and then - once you know your work is worth the time and effort, and that your business skills are up to scratch - go take on the world!</p>