Client wants flush mount album from HIS images

melanie_penny

<p>I have a potential client that wants me to create a flush mount album celebrating his mother's 50th birthday. He wants to send me pictures of his mother/family that are going to be scanned from various photographs that they already have (so copyright is not an issue here, since they would be all family-created photos). <br>

My question is whether anyone has done this before, and whether it has posed any issue with album companies who are intended to produce albums made of images by professional photographers. I was telling him about the archival benefits of the flush mount (and other benefits) and he decided that it would be a great gift, and doesn't have a problem with my fee. I even suggested non flush-mount options, but he preferred the flush mount. <br>

I am just worried about promising him something and then ultimately facing some kinks down the road. <br>

Just curious if anyone else has had any experience with something similar? </p>

<p>I've done scans of client photos before - but never created an album off of them - just digital files and slide shows (all client taken photos). </p>

<p>My advice would be to do the scans yourself or to tell the client a reputable lab to go to for the scans - that is going to be the major snag - it's the old garbage in garbage out theory - If the photos (org) or scans are garbage - then no amount of lipstick is going to make them look good. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Melanie,<br>

If I understand your question correctly, your client will be handing a set of prints to you to be mounted into a flush album. If so, gpalbums.com might be the answer. I have done business with this company for many years with satisfaction. Anticipating your next question of how much to charge : you are reseling a product. Take your cost and mark it up by the percentage which allows you to make a profit for your time as well as material cost.<br>

Warmest regards,<br>

David R. Lewis</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>This can definitely can be done. However, it is extremely difficult to get a clean scan, even from a pro lab. This could create a lot of work just cleaning up the photos. You probably would need to edit them to make them more vivid because old photos can fade. I would make sure that you charged enough to cover all the prep work.</p>