digital camera to replace my Rollei 35 and Minox gte

<p>Hi!<br>

Is there some non-SLR digital camera that would be more like a manual PS camera? I like having fast access to speed, focus and aperture + exposure compensation. Also as Rollei and minox had excellent lenses that would be nice too. But the most biggest problem I have met when trying many non SLR digicams is that they are slow. I do not like the unpredictable delays of most cams even without AF, when pushing the button it needs to happen now and not some day. Tired of trying, I am asking if anyone knows anything that would fit my needs?</p>

<p>Best regards<br>

Jani</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I do not like the unpredictable delays of most cams even without AF, when pushing the button it needs to happen now and not some day. Tired of trying</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's kinda inronic that you have three landscape photos in your folder and a collecttion of ancient press cameras in your homepage yet you think digicams aren't fast enough. Try the ricoh GRD/GX series, Panasonic LX5 and if they aren't fast enough for you then put them in MF mode and AF preset. You might be talking about the LCD delay after the shot...that has nothing to do with the shutter lag...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Tired of trying, I am asking if anyone knows anything that would fit my needs?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The fact is: Only YOU know if anything would fit your needs. If someone suggests some thing here, will you just take her/his words and go order for that camera right away? I guess not, you still have to try it out. So tired or not you still have to keep trying</p>

<p>But your problem is pretty easy to solve though: Bring your exact question to a local store, they will work with you and in less than an hour your problem will be solved. Either you 'd find exactly the camera you need or you 'd be convinced that such a camera doesn't exist (yet)</p>

<p>Hi!<br>

Thanks for your answers. Leslie, the fact that I have 3 very old pics in my folder, tells only that I do not put pictures on photo.net and for the small portion of my cameras on the website, that does not tell much anything either unless you have used them yourself too. I am not talking about the delay to display things on the LCD, I mean the time from the push of the button (and now thinking about it, also the mechanical feeling of the button when release is at hand) until I get some sort of indication that the picture is being taken or has already been taken. Thank you for the camera suggestions, I will try to find a place to give them a try.<br>

John: I know that I still have to try the camera I wish to use, but also it is quite common for people to ask opinions of others. As an addition to my first post, unfortunately my local camerashops do not seem to be able to give more information then about the amount of megapixels and how long the battery will last. :)<br>

Jani</p>

<blockquote>

<p>unfortunately my local camerashops do not seem to be able to give more information</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You got it all wrong, you don't go to the local store for more information (maybe no store would have as much information as PN members), you go there to <strong>try out their cameras</strong>. If none of their cameras fit your needs then you can be pretty sure that there is none or it must be very expensive like the Leicas, for example</p>

<p>Jani, there's an LCD lag, apart from the shutter lag -- the time it takes for the sensor to be read, the image processed, and the result displayed on the LCD. In other words the LCD image isn't quite in real time. Try framing via the LCD and then shooting with your eye directly on the subject. There still may be some shutter lag, but that might remove a lot of the lag you perceive. Pre-focusing and using manual settings will remove further lag.</p>

<p>I'm happy with my little Canon G11. It's got the manual controls you describe, although the aperture and shutter speed are accessed electronically (not by a dial or ring). It also has both an LCD and an optical viewfinder (although not a very good one). It's not the end-all of cameras, but it's compact, and it's nice to use when I don't want to lug around my 5D. If you can stand something larger, there are some micro-4/3 cameras that are also worth considering. That's not a world I know much about, though.</p>

<p>I recently acquired a Panasonic G1 as a walkabout camera as my Nikon D300 is proving too heavy. I'm impressed both with the focussing speed and the lack of shutter lag once I press the shutter release. I can see the captured image in the electronic viewfinder and whether I've captured the 'decisive moment'.</p>