7d and 580ex (not II)

amit_bronstein

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I currently own canon 20D with 580Ex flash unit (the first one, not II).<br>

I am planning to replace the 20D with a new EOS-7D body.<br>

Should I replace the flash to the new 580EX-II ? will my old one with function E-TTL with the 7D?<br>

Are there are major advantages from the new flash that worth the money?</p>

<p>Now since I was a bit "out" of photography for the last 3-4 years, I just want if anyone can confirm that my current lenses will function o.k on the new 7D. I got 17-40 4L and 70-200 4L.</p>

<p>Many thanks!<br>

Amit</p>

<p>Amit,</p>

<p>Your 580EX and lenses (17-40, and 70-200) should all work with the 7D.</p>

<p>If you had third-party lenses or Flashes (Sigma or Tamron) then you might worry, but even then... the newer lenses seem to have less compatibility problems.</p>

<p>Your flash is just as compatible with the 7D as it was with the 20D.</p>

<p>There's a bunch of new/improved stuff, but whether they're worth the money is something only you can answer. For instance, how much is weather sealing worth? For someone who shoots outdoors in all weather, upgrading to a weather-resistant flash (to go with their weather-resistant lenses and new weather-resistant body) is pretty much a no-brainer; for someone who shoots indoors, it's not worth paying extra for at all. The ability to set the flash unit's custom functions from the camera's LCD rather than on the flash itself may also be worth more to some people than others (if you're already comfortable setting these via the flash, this is probably not a big deal). And so on.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/report/200708/table1.html" target="_blank">Here's a table summarizing the differences between the two generations of 580EX</a>. Look at what's new or improved and see if it's worth it to you. <a href="http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/report/200708/200708.html" target="_blank">Here's the full article</a> from which that table is taken; it gives a bit more detail on the new model.</p>

• 4 weeks later...