Nikon Super CoolScan LS-8000 ED and VueScan

scott_murphy_photography

<p>Hello all,<br>

I finally got a 1394 Firewire card (that fits my new Dell) for my LS-8000 and ordered the professional version of VueScan. I installed the card, and checked my devices and Windows 7 tells me the card is properly installed and working properly. When I connect the LS-8000 using the same Firewire cable I used on my old computer and bring up VueScan it tells me that <em>no scanner is attached</em>. I have closed the program, turned off the scanner, turned it back on, opened up the software and still nothing. There is a little green light on the LS-8000 that blinks until the scanner has gone through all its BITS and turns solid once it is complete. The light is glowing a steady green.</p>

<p>I am looking through the various menus and I cannot find anything that will let me install a scanner and the manual doesn't seem to be very helpful.</p>

<p>Can someone help me get this thing back up and running? I have a bunch of Hasselblad stuff I shot last weekend that I need to scan!</p>

<p>TIA</p>

<p>Scott</p>

<p>The 8000 shipped with its own Firewire card because it was sensitive to the type of chip used in the expansion card (apparently 10 years ago there was less standardization). I remember having to use the Nikon-supplied card at first, but after a few years I had no problem with cards from OWC or built into the motherboard. I believe I am using a OWCFW800PCI card for both an 8000 (first) and now a 9000. I would suggest doing a wider search on the Internet for something like "Nikon 8000 firewire card". I remember specific discussions about the chip problem. It could also be a driver problem, so just to be sure I would check another Firewire device if you can.</p>

<p>Thanks Curt. The reason I had to get a new EE 1394 card is the slot configuration on my new computer is different than that last one (the old 1394 card worked perfectly, but it was with XP, not Windows 7) It requires the shorter tab instead of the longer one. Unfortunately, I only have one slot with the longer slot; the rest of them have the smaller slot. I will do some searching.</p>

<p>Have you tried turning on the scanner before booting up your computer? I have found that I had to turn on my coolscan and let it be in it's ready mode before booting up my computer.</p>

<p>As for firewire cards, I have heard the same thing as Curt, so that could also be a problem.</p>

<p>Are you running Win 7, 64 bit? I have heard that can cause problems too.</p>

<p>OK, I didn't react to the Windows 7 part of the original question. I run that also, but not with VueScan. There is a trick to the way the drivers must be installed for the Coolscan and VueScan is supposed to be one solution, but search photo.net for "64 bit windows Nikon 8000". It is easily solved by juggling drivers, maybe going into the code. If you want, I can send you the modified Nikon driver code that I use.</p>

<p>Just to clarify - the Nikon driver does not work in 64-bit mode if that is what you are using. This would explain all of your symptoms. There are simple, reliable workarounds and it is difficult to understand why Nikon doesn't publish a new driver themselves.</p>

<p>Scott, have a look at this link <a href="http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/coolscan-vista-64.html">http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/coolscan-vista-64.html</a>, also the link contained in it. These worked really slick in enabling me to modify the driver so that my computer finally recognized my Nikon LS-4000 scanner on my computer with Windows 7, 64-bit. Good luck, Ron.</p>

<p>Take a look at this site:<br>

<a href="http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/44994-getting-your-nikon-coolscan-work-w7-x64.html">http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/44994-getting-your-nikon-coolscan-work-w7-x64.html</a><br>

I used this to get my Nikon 9000 working with Nikon Scan 4.0.3 on a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit computer. Don't know if this is required for ViewScan. </p>