Equipment Needed

stephen_gardner

<p>Hi,<br>

This is my first post here. I have recently been the photographer at a few of my friends weddings which I thoroughly enjoyed, I have always thought about taking my hobby further and would like to enter this field in the next 12 months. I currently own a Nikon D80, Nikkor 18-35, Sigma 10-20, Nikon 50 Prime and an SB900.<br>

I have spoken to some Pro photographers and now am being advised to buy a full frame camera. My thoughts are the Nikon D700 which seems to retail at about £1,800, however, if I am doing this should I stop now buying lenses for my D80 and can I buy full frame lenses for my D80 that will work on a D700?<br>

Many thanks<br>

Stephen</p>

<p>You also might want to closely peruse the wedding forum. There are many threads in the wedding forum that focuses on what a newcomer needs to succeed, both in terms of equipment and experience. It is an expensive undertaking. For example, you must have at least two bodies in case your primary body breaks. </p>

<p>I agree that you don't need a full frame camera to start into wedding photography. Even if you subscribe to this idea, you should not now stop buying lenses for the D80, for two reasons.</p>

<p>1. Usually a wide to short tele f2.8 zoom is the first thing one purchases for wedding photography (by no means is it always the case). Therefore, many people look to the 24-70mm f2.8 zoom as one that will work on both cropped sensor and full frame cameras, and which will eventually be the mainstay lens for full frame. However, it is a fairly inconvenient range for a cropped sensor camera. I always subscribe to the idea that one should get the same convenient zoom range f2.8 lens for the cropped sensor camera and then sell it when one stops using the cropped sensor camera. This way, one gets full benefit of the lens range during the time in which one has the cropped sensor camera.</p>

<p>2. Perhaps you will keep your D80 as back up, and therefore, any lenses you purchase for it can still be useful.</p>

<p>I would, though, be very careful with buying any lenses at all, until you have some wedding photography mileage under your belt and can determine for yourself what you want and need, based on your own style and working methods. In any kind of apprenticeship, your present gear will be fine, unless you are wanting to specifically work for the fellow who told you that you need a full frame camera.</p>

<p>While, indeed, to properly and efficiently enter the wedding photography trade you do need a good low-light performance camera, it is by no means an absolute prerequisite on any level. I've seen amazing shots coming out of crop factor cameras which put the best D3X images to shame, so...</p>

<p>The best thing to do would be to convice a professional photographer to let you tag along as a second-shooter/ assistant for a number of weddings (in various conditions) and then sit together with him and review your work. That way you will discover whether it is the equipment that you need to upgrade or your skill.</p>

<p>I agree with the others-get some experience before jumping in feet first....the first thought for shooting weddings should not be on the equipment needed, but on how to deal with rapidly changing lighting conditions, large groups of people, incredibly short time frames for shooting formal shots, how to make a dimly lit convention center look like a million bucks, and on and on....it's way more than just equipment.<br>

Full frame cameras definitely have their major advantages, but there are people shooting weddings with D300's and doing very good work. I would suggest the Nikon 17-50 f2.8 ($1,300) if you go with the D300, or the 24-70 f2.8 if you get the D700, the 24-70 f2.8 ($1,700).<br>

I'm not a Nikon guy, but my Canon kit consists of two full frame cameras, 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8, 2 shoe mount flashes, and a huge number of batteries and memory cards.</p>

<p>Stephen,</p>

<p>I'm not sure if I can add anything that hasn't been stated above. All I can do is emphasize that you do not need a full frame camera to shoot weddings unless you are second shooting with a primary that required you shoot full frame.</p>

<p>My Kit consists of 2x D300s, various lenses from 17mm-300mm, a few filters, lots of extra batteries and memory, and most importantly, my experience and brain. </p>

<p>Remember, I could hand all my gear to someone that's never shot a wedding before and they would get the same results that they get with a point and shoot.</p>

<p>RS</p>

You really don't need full framed cameras. The only reason why I have them is for the dual card slots. Some of the high end cameras have 2 slots, so the camera can write to 2 different cards, It helps protect yourself from card failure. My guess is there are very few photographers wanting to fork over $6000 or more just for a camera.

I actually have a Canon 20D as a backup for my other backup cameras, which is fairly old and it's not full frame.

Your D700 is really fine for your type of shooting. If you continue to really love weddings, wanting to start a business, wait for the next series of cameras to come out. There are more and more still video cameras coming out. See whats happening in the camera world which should start appearing before or around April.

I think it is wiser to spend your money on quality lenses. Richard Snow has 2, D300's. They are really good cameras. You can pick up some great Tamron lenses, but I usually stay with the Canon lenses. There are a lot of great shooters doing weddings with Tamrons. Very sharp lenses.