Which Mamiya should I purchase?

chadlatta

<p>I have a small camera collection ranging from TLR's to rangefinders. Nothing fancy, just your run of the mill ebay treasures.</p>

<p>I have been thinking about selling some off and purchasing an older Mamiya. I would like to shoot more and as it is I have too many cameras sitting around with unused film in them, so I want to wittle it down to just a few that I use more.</p>

<p>I would like to spend around $150 to get up and going, then maybe invest in more accesories in the future if I stick with it. Also, I might possibly want to purchase a polaroid back or a digital back eventually.</p>

<p>What should I be looking for? Which model, lens..etc.</p>

<p>Thanks for your suggestions.</p>

<p>Chad</p>

<p>You'd et a better deal on an old RB instead of an electronic RZ that may have some problems you can't repair. The mechanical RBs are much easier to fix and there are planety of em at bargain prices these days. I saw a complete kit with 3 lenses for $400.</p>
The more you say, the less people listen.

<p>The best way to avoid problems you can't repair with an rz67 is to not buy a broken one!</p>

<p>I have an rz67 and I think it's great. Good lenses, very easy to use, super versatile, etc. The 110mm f2.8 is a great lens, the 50mm ULD is nice, too, so is the new 65mm.</p>

<p>The main issue is that it's not as cheap...the 50mm ULD is still around $300 alone. The camera is also HUGE. It really depends what your needs are, but it's a good general purpose camera if you don't mind its size and don't plan to hand hold much.</p>

<p>So, you are use to shooting TLR's and Rangefinders?</p>

<p>But, you have cameras sitting around with half shot rolls of film in them? <br>

(You're not utilizing what you already have.) Why not?</p>

<p>You want a Mamiya, but you may also want Polaroid capability? <br>

(Sorry, no Polaroid backs for Mamiya TLR's or Rangefinders 6 and 7, though the Universal/Press cameras do).</p>

<p>You only want to spend $150.00?</p>

<p>I think there is far to great of a divide, between the real cost of any of Mamiya's system-cameras, and your stated price limit, be it a 645, RB, or RZ. (And, forget about a Mamiya Rangefinder, 6 or 7, at that price).</p>

<p>Cost wise, with many cameras, (and especially with medium format), the camera body is just the tip of the iceberg in expenditure. Realistically, you should expect to outlay well over $1,000.00 dollars to acquire the makings of a [basic], used, medium format camera system.</p>

<p>If you have never handled a RB or RZ, they are heavy, ungainly, non-ergonomic beasts to hand hold. A grip and a sturdy mono-pod, or sturdy tri-pod is highly advisable. All, at triple your price limit, just to support the cameras, let alone the price of the camera itself. And, buying used equipment at your price, expect the camera and lens to need a CLA, which alone, could easily run $150.00.</p>

<p>If you are dead-set on Mamiya medium format, drop the Polaroid requirement, and go with a TLR. <br>

Acquire additional lenses for it later. The 180mm was a great lens; one of my favorites.</p>

<p>Medium format cameras from Mamiya can provide remarkable images. But, from your statement, I have to wonder if you are totally aware of the commitment in time, and money needed to fully appreciate and utilize them.</p>

<p>Marc,<br>

Good points.  I purchased a strap for my RZ67 to help with the bulkiness and for handholding.  It came to over $50.  <br>

Just for a strap!</p>

<p>Mamiya Press is correct. And I'll say the plain Press, not the Universal Press, otherwise it will definitely be over $150.</p>

<p>Or drop the Polaroid and go with the Mamiya Six folder. I own one. You can see the camera and some photos I took with it <a href=" Mamiya Six target="_blank">here</a>.</p>

<p>Or drop the medium format and go with a Mamiya/Sekor DeLuxe 35mm rangefinder:-)</p>