who needs EOS 60D

gerhard_selke

Someone upgrading from 300d, 350d, or 400d and not willing to spend too much money. Interms of image quality I

think the 550d, the 60d and the 7d is the same camera. The extra features of the 7d is it's strongest point, the 550d

has great value for money. The 60d is in-between and it's for those who wants some extra features but are on a

budget. It would have been very exciting to see the 60d built around a magnesium alloy body, with 24mp sensor, 8fps.

But then again who is going to buy the one year old 7d? Camera specs is driven by the market more than anything

eles. Canon today has the whole range covered, just like many other manufacturers. 1000d, 550d entry level. 60d and

7d semi pro and 5d mk2 and 1d mk4 pro. I am so happy that we live in a world were there is a new camera every

year and with such a wide spectrum to choose from. Actualy if you are a first time dslr buyer you would appreciate

having the option to buy the 60d. My friend upgraded from the 450d to the 60d mainly because he wanted a dslr with

full hd video that fits in his hands!

<p>Me. Well, I don't <em>need</em> the 60D, my 350D still works; but I have been looking for a replacement almost since the 7D came. But I cannot figure out, if the extra price (25% here in Denmark) for the 7D is worth it for me. On one hand, I would like to have the best camera I can afford, but on the other hand, I don't want to spend extra for something that I don't think I'm getting value for.</p>

<p>The lack of a PC port means I won't even consider it. Heider compares it to Rebels and sees it as a step up from them and bellow a semi-pro cam. I agree, but if you're going to want semi-pro then get semi-pro IMHO. At one time semi-pro was considered a step bellow pro which is what you wanted. Now semi-pro is what you want and this bridge camera is a step bellow that, or it's a glorified Rebel, depends on how you look at it.</p>

<p>Swivel LCD, kinda gimmicky. But I said the same thing about live view yet I seem to use that on occasion. I just see the swivel thing as a weak point though, something to break.</p>

<p>I already have more than enough cameras, so I guess I don't need a 60D at all. But if you ask me to choose between the 60D and the 550D, I'd pick the 60D right away because:<br>

- The 550D doesn't have the big wheel in the back<br>

- The 550D has no LCD on top<br>

- The 550D uses mirrors instead of prism</p>

<p>To me the three bad things above are the characteristics of a Rebel which make the camera "impossible" to use. No Micro Adjustment is no big deal</p>

<p>I have the 40D and am about to get the 60D, I hope I am making the right decision. I only consider upgrading when the improvement has a factor of about 2X. In this case the pixel count was a factor also the video capability, the swivel viewfinder and the lightweight body! Yes, the body weight is important to me. The 60D is only a few mm larger and 15gm heavier than the 40D whereas the 7D is noticeably larger and significantly heavier i.e. 80 gm.<br>

The main downside is the change in memory card (CF to SD) and different batteries. I had hoped to keep the 40D as a backup camera but it might prove too involved.<br>

I haven't made up my mind fully yet so any further comments from you guys may help one way or the other.</p>

<p>The one thing that it seems everyone needs to keep in mind with these posts is... what are you trying to get? And does a new camera serve that purpose.</p>

<p>Personally, I had a 20D, and wanted to be able to use a 17-40 and 50mm lens at the focal lengths of a 35mm camera, so I upgraded to a 5D. </p>

<p>I can't see any reason I will want to upgrade from this point on. The 5D is more than enough image quality for my purposes, and I feel no need for video. Sure, I could use a little more burst speed, but I may pick up some old used 1D mkII or similar for that.</p>

<p>So I guess what I'm saying is... the person that a 60D would meet their needs.</p>

<p>Canon contnues to dissappoint me. All I wanted was something slightly smaller that the 50D, with a metal body and the 18 MP sensor now featuring in the 550D and 7D. Instead they downgraded the body material, while upping the size and weight and removing software driven features.<br>

Of course their lenses keep me in the system, but even there all their new offerings of late have been launched with a hefty price premium. Who do they think the are? Nikon?<br>

I use a 5D and a 450D. In fact I use the 450D more often than the 5D. The rebel ergonmics are different to the 5D, but it is really only a case of what you are used to. I woundn't say either is better. </p>

<p>The more the merrier! My only beef with the 60D is it feels a little small. Not as farty tiny as a Rebel but I like a little more grip to hang onto. A 7D or 5DII feels a lot better in mah friggen mitts.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I own a D90 and a D200.<br>

<br />Lately, I've been using the video on the D90 more and more. It's actually gotten to the point where, while I prefer the heavy metal body of the D200, I don't use it very much any more because I want the ability to record video while I'm out. So I take the D90.<br>

<br />I don't want to carry a dedicated video camera around. I like the function on a DSLR. I'll probably get a D7000 when it comes out. The D7000 has a far more sophisticated ability to take video than the D90.<br>

<br />If I owned Canon instead of Nikon lenses, I'd probably get a 60D for the same reason.</p>

<p>I recently attended a David Ziser seminar, and he promoted the use of the 7D for wedding shoots, and that the larger mega-pixel cameras were used primarily for studio work.</p>

<p>Canon realized that 50D was competitively inadequate. I had considered the 50D, but compared it to the Olympus E-30 and decided to go with the latter due to my existing E-series owned cameras. I did not see the need to go up slightly to 15 mega-pixels.</p>

<p>When the 7D came along, my eyes took interest and realized that this was a completely redesigned Canon DSLR and had far superior features than previous models. Olympus was stuck with 12.3 mega-pixels and issues with noise at high ISOs.</p>

<p>The 60D is a great way to go, especially for beginners or intermediate photographers. It is the little brother of the 7D and seems to be a good backup camera for my purposes.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>> Canon realized that 50D was competitively inadequate<br>

I've never read that anywhere. The truth is the 50D can produce very good work, especially now that Adobe has produce a good RAW converter with LR 3.2 and ACR 6.X.<br>

I think that Canon just wanted another tier of DSLRs that can do video.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I think that Canon just wanted another tier of DSLRs that can do video.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yep, give customers so many choices that they are picking between a few of your items, either way you make a sale. Otherwise customers are picking between your stuff and the competition's stuff.</p>

<p>The 60D is a very fine camera capable of professional results...when in the hands of a pro. Like any other camera/tool, it's the user who makes it 'pro', not the other way around.</p>

<p>If one doesn't need the weather sealing or other features of the 7D this is a GREAT camera, no if or buts about it. The fact that it is lighter it's a plus for many (including me) and something Canon did as a result of users' feedback.</p>

<p>Sigh, I thought my 50D was adequate for a lot of my needs, but apparently I need to get a D90 or a 60D now. Oh well, I guess I could just dismiss ridiculous statements and not part with sanity.</p>

<p>The 50D was released essentially 2 years before the 60D was announced. (AUG 08/ AUG 10)<br>

It was time for an upgrade (being that it wasn't from a pro line like the 5D/1D/1Ds series)<br>

Canon said, well, we can't make it completely better than the 7D, but we can do some new features and maybe make it like a better rebel.<br>

So Canon did that.<br>

Then they told the world about it.<br>

Then a lot of snobs began dismissing it without realizing its niche (a comfy spot between the 7D and the 550D )<br>

There does indeed exist a several hundred dollar difference between the two previously existing cameras. After you've spent a while collecting lenses, bodies, and spending a whole lot on camera gear, you may forget what its like to start out with nothing, and without too much to spend on the stuff. Maybe, you have that little bit of cash left over to possibly buy the "sports package" if you will.<br>

If you can afford the 7D, what on earth are you mocking the 60D for?</p>