Cannot open NEF files in Adobe Photoshop

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I am using Photoshop CS2 and DNG Converter 5.6.0. It was working fine I used to open the NEF files without any issue. But now for some days I cannot open NEF file and getting error that format is unsupported.</p>

<p>Please let me know if I am doing something wrong in DNG Converter? Also please let me know what Compatibility option to choose in the DNG Converter?</p>

<p>Thanks and regards,</p>

<p>Riz</p>

<p>The first step would be to go download the 6.2 version of the software and then see if it is fixed. If you have upgraded your camera, used someone else's or rented, chances are that other camera is not supported by version 5.6.</p>

<p>It is always best to keep up with the newest versions of these software products.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I am using Photoshop CS2 and DNG Converter 5.6.0. It was working fine I used to open the NEF files without any issue. But now for some days I cannot open NEF file and getting error that format is unsupported.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Perhaps I am reading your question too literally. Depending on what camera you are using, CS2 may or may not open<strong> NEF </strong>files. It should open <strong>DNG</strong> files that have been converted from NEF files. Presumably you are performing this conversion using the DNG Converter software. I assume you mean to write that you are having trouble opening the <strong>DNG</strong> files which result from this conversion. What happens during the conversion? Do you get any errors suggesting that the conversion failed? After conversion do the image files with the <strong>.dng </strong>extension appear in the folder/directory which you select? </p>

<p>In the Preferences tab of the DNG Converter there is a dropdown list of compatibility settings. Be sure to select the one that corresponds to the version of Adobe Camera Raw that you are using. (see Chas Frady post above).</p>

<p>There are several versions of DNG. You have to configure your DNG converter to write an older version of DNG that the ACR 3.7 can open. This is most often a problem when people upgrade their DNG converters, not realizing that the new converter will default to writing a newer DNG that older DNG programs can't read.</p>

<p>DiNGity DaNG, it's just DuNG...</p>