Not bad for 8

philip_wilson

<p>I just downloaded some images my youngest son made with a used body I bought them about 2 years ago. He took a number of shots like this while I was away travelling and I was quite impressed that he took this (unassisted) as an eight year old. The body is a used EOS Rebel (300D) and the lens is the EFS 18-135 that i got cheap when I bought a 7D (I never use this lens myself so I let the kids have it). Shot detail are 1/80 F5.6 ISO 400 aperture priority and the lens is set to 37mm - I made no edits in Photoshop beyond compressing the image to show on screen.</p><div>00XS4W-288829584.jpg.c9096c675bc55bd2452a472136c76591.jpg</div>

<p>Wow, I think most kids (and perhaps even most adults) would have centered in on the rainbow and/or would have zoomed out to 18mm to get more of it in the picture, thus screwing up the composition either way. The kid has some natural talent! :-)</p>

<p>Dang, he used Av, and not the green-rectangle-for-dummies mode? Tell me he shot it in RAW!</p>

<p>If I were you, I'd have it printed and nicely framed, and I'd hang it in a place of honor in the living room. Then your son would beam everytime a visitor comments on it. </p>

<p>Excellent!</p>

<p>I started off with my first SLR (an EOS 1000FN aka Rebel S II) when I was 10. Scary to think that was almost 20 years ago...</p>

<p>If I shot that today I'd be happy with it. I definitely agree with Sarah (second time today!) that it should be printed and displayed.</p>

<p>And buy him a 35 F1.4L for his birthday ;-)</p>