no warranty card w new Pentax lens?

doug_nelson3

<p>Any of you ever have a problem with a retailer not including a warranty card with new equipment? My new DA 50-300 seems fine optically (surprisingly so) but has a very rare autofocus hiccup (inappropriate close focus). My sample was made in Vietnam. Could this lens have been returned by someone? Do I send it back and and maybe let go of a good optical sample, or suck it up and just enjoy it (and put up with the autofous hiccup)? Anyone else notice occasional odd autofocus behavior with this lens? Did it get worse, disappear, or stay the same?</p>

<p>Unless the retailer won't take the lens back because of the warranty card, you don't need it.</p>

<p>For warranty the only thing you need is a dated receipt. That's it. As a matter of fact the card without a receipt will get you nothing. Just hold on to your receipt, or we'll see a post on here on how PO'd you are because you can't get your lens fixed!</p>

<p>I was a little skeptical at the plasticky build and some looseness in the barrel when extended, but decided to give it a fair chance. I went to the beach and shot surfers, people against cliffs, distant boats and some portraits. I was prepared to accept some fuzzy edges and less than stellar centers at the far end, but I can't fault it overall. It is sharp up to 100% magnification at all focal lengths, but very nice indeed at the shorter end. It's a keeper.</p>

<p>Sometimes, lack of a warranty card might mean that the item is "gray market" -- made to be sold outside the USA and imported privately by the vendor. In that case, warranty service may very well <em>not</em> be given by the USA importer. The official importer could probably tell you from the serial number.</p>

<p>If the lens performs well for your needs keep it. The warranty card is never needed. The receipt on the other hand is a "Birth Certificate". Make copies of the original receipt since the originals fade, put one in the box, one in your photography folder and scan one to have it in digital format. That's all you will ever need. <br>

I have learned my lesson the hard way...</p>