Canon New F-1 AE FN + Motor Drive FN: aperture priority - continuous shooting

andreas_thaler1

<p>I have noticed that continuous shooting (mode "L" and "H") with the AE finder FN works perfectly in shutter priority and in the manual override mode but not in aperture priority. After some frames the mirror blocks and the shutter stays closed for some seconds.<br>

The manuals both for F-1 and motor drive do not cover this topic. On page 24 of the motor drives manual there is only a hint that continuous shooting with the AE finder FN should be possible in stopped-down AE mode.<br>

Continuous shooting in aperture priority does not make much sense indeed. Anyway I would be interested if this behavior only affects my gear.</p>

<p>Just tried to replicate your "fault" and mine work fine. Is it possible that you are playing without a film and that the motor wind counter has reached 0 ? If this is the case you need to re-set the counter as at zero you have to manually wind on as the motor will not wind (it does make a noise but the gears are not engaged). My motoir will shoot a 5fps in Aperture priority and stopped down aperture priority (although i am not sure i would want to shoot at 5fps stopped down).</p>

<p>Philip, thank you very much for you efforts! Great to hear that it works :-)<br>

Thanks for your hint but the counter is not the problem as the issue arises before the counter reaches zero.<br>

Meanwhile I think that the problem has to do with a sticky mirror pad which causes a mirror movement out of synch (please see my other thread I started today). The timing mirror - shutter should be very delicate especially in highspeed mode so I could imagine that any interruption confuses the interaction. On the other side continuous shooting works flawlessly in shutter priority and override mode ... (?)<br>

However I will let replace the mirror pad and hopefully this will fix the issue. The F-1N is such an awesome machine which cannot be destinated only for vegetating in the glass cabinet ;o)</p>

<p>Just about to go out and take my old F1, 85 F1.2 and 35 F2.8 TS up Sulphur Mountain Banff as a short afternoon walk - to finish the film and celebrate 40 years of the F1. mind you mine is only 36 years old. My New F1s are 1985 and 1986 so they still have a way to go. Sticky mirror may be an issue but I suspect it will have the same impact in Av and Tv - hopefully you will sort it out. Have you tried taking the lens off and trying without a lens (or with a different lens) to see what happens as it may be a sticky iris in the lens. In addition you might want to check what shutterspeed you have as in Av this is set by the camera so you may just have a slow shutter speed (although I doubt it).</p>

<p>Thanks Philip, I tried it also with lens off but the problem stayed :-(<br>

I just have noticed that a sticky part of the mirror pad has hit the screen. So I think it is the best to stop any further testing and bring the camera to the repair shop of my confidence in Vienna/Austria.<br>

To save my weekend I have just ordered another F-1 in the States ;-) This one has been given a CLA and has been completley overhauled replacement of mirror pad and light seals included. Despite the Austrian customs and taxes I am convinced that this was the right decision :-) <em>And my FD glass in the cabinet awaits eagerly the arrival of the new black knight ... ;-))</em></p>

<blockquote>

<p>works perfectly in shutter priority and in the <strong>manual override </strong>mode but not in aperture priority</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I wouldn't call it "manual override". The F-1 is one of very few Canon FD SLR that really has a metered manual mode (and to me, it's the best metered manual mode) unlike the override of A-1, AE-1, EF, or T90</p>