Midwest LF Group photo outing

michael_sherck

A loosly organized group of large format photographers centered in Northern Indiana and southwest lower Michigan has organized the second large format photo outing of 2002 for this coming Saturday, 10/12/2002, in St. Joseph, Michigan. Anyone interested is welcome. We'll be meeting for breakfast at Barney's Boathouse, 600 Fisherman Rd., St. Joseph, Michigan on Saturday morning at 8:00 AM EDT (local time in Michigan.) There are no costs other than your transportation and whatever you eat.

The primary forcus of these gatherings is to meet others interested in large format photography, make new friends, see new places, and take pictures. It's all very low-key and casual. Our first meeting, in August of this year, was at Turkey Run State Park in west-central Indiana. There we enjoyed unusually rugged and interesting terrain for the Midwest, with deep ravines and large rock formations. St. Joseph offers considerable interest to photographers, being situated on the south-eastern shore of Lake Michigan and possessing bridges, light-houses, industrial areas, and a downtown harvest festival this weekend as well.

If you are interested, please drop me a quick e-mail to let me know. I'll try to keep a count of participants.

Mike

If you want something interesting to do on Oct. 13th (Sunday), try taking some LF photos of the Chicago Marathon. It starts at 7:25am, and ends in Grant Park about 300 yards south of the starting line. Grant park is the huge park on the East side of Chicago next to Lake Michigan. There are plenty of places to set up your tripod.

Weather and time permitting, I would advise getting there early, and using 400speed film. By the time the first runners finish, the sun is higher. There are overpasses and some photogs even gain access to the tops of buildings to photograph from above.

You just might see me there, with my 5x7.

Check out http://www.chicagomarathon.com if you're seriously considering this.