Canon Thursday Pic 2010: #7

joshroot

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I had been standing at the edge of the pond for an hour, hoping to see a heron or egret fly into range of my lens, when a family walked up and asked what I was shooting. When I told them I was hoping to see a heron or egret, they informed me that there was on standing along the bed of the stream behind me. Shot with my Canon EOS 50D with my ancient EF 100-300 f4.5-5.6 USM lens at 300mm, 1/60 second, f 7.1. I used Live View and a cable release, and got 20 or 30 shots before the light completely faded away. This was one of the first shots, and I really liked the early evening backlight on the heron.</p><div>00XRFV-288193684.jpg.b343473689755fab471b6151a8fb9cfc.jpg</div>

<p>Even though I love and appreciate red wines 100 times more than whites, it's still OK in my book to find a nice cluster of white wine grapes and shoot them. This is from last Saturday afternoon in Sonoma County, not that far from my house. (so far so good too with all the excellent photos posted!)</p><div>00XRH4-288205684.jpg.5f455c0331ebf5ae51bfef2e11b8f0b6.jpg</div>

<p>Last week was every day all morning very foggy, but as I had to go to work every day from Monday to Friday, I wasn't able until Sunday to go out and try to capture that magical dim of morning light. I got a few descent shots and this is one of them. If You wonder what happened on Saturday, I was getting rid of workdays sleep deprivation. 5D 70-200/2,8 L IS II</p><div>00XRHI-288209584.JPG.0655f559d12bf0e3fb3602d669f37087.JPG</div>

<p>Quick hit comments for pages 1-2:<br /> Josh - cute kids of course and fun kids' only pose! Maybe lower your POV slightly?<br /> Karen - fun shot of the girl leaping & tossing red, creative.<br /> Peter - looks like a secret behind-the-scenes shot of a school assault (I used to play w/B guns too like that, but without masks, we lucked out no serious injuries)<br /> Bueh - photo next to your parked bike of land/water bridge for train, nice comp. Not something I usually see from you. ;-)<br /> Praveen - nice detail captured in this small 700 px format. Excellent exposure too.<br /> Vladimir - mugging lizards always proud and funny. Well done.<br /> Erik - fuzzy rainbow really bright at the bottom (fuzzy because you are artificially enlarging this image hosted on Flickr, as its actual dimensions are 700 high and you stretch it via your HTML -- be careful when referencing an image you don't directly upload to this forum)<br /> Louis - I love you B&W leaf treatment, excellent.<br /> Joshua - really pretty flower, unusual, but the blow-out top third distracts<br /> Mark - hilarious Tweety bird well posed.<br /> Simon - church/blue sky, too tightly cropped yet cars still compete for the eye<br /> Scott - boldly art deco I am guessing, cool.<br /> Wayne - serious looking child wondering deeply about adults getting married ;-)<br /> Mike - must be Renn Faire time, ehh? Excellent portrait. Smooth bokeh. ;;)<br /> Kerri - tiny but cute, nicely composed.<br /> Mike - looks like a 200-year-old oil painting, excellent, maybe a little too dark?<br /> Ron - star on military moto; a little jumbled up all thrown into the frame.</p>

<p>Don't take it all too seriously, well done, and vastly! Would be nice to see some *more* typical EOS regulars post here, cannot understand why not... -Ken</p>

<p>I like all the shots this week!<br />In particular:<br />Karen W - rose petals make the shot!<br />Bueh - the green bordering the green, and the wash of the sky make it not so boring!<br />Scott F - Very Miami Beach!<br />DS M and JE G - two great shots.<br />Bob B - Are you the model maker? Pretty impressive, and a nice photo too.<br />Ken P - I love a winery in the fall!<br />Dan P - the back lit trees and kid's expressions make that a great shot.<br />Thanks everyone!</p>