Which DSLR's work best with Mirex or Zork adapters?

sorry_no_photos

<p>Just wondering which digital bodies might be compatible with the Mirex adapters. I've e-mailed a bit back and forth with Germany, but there's still a bit of a language barrier (even though their English is light-years ahead of my German). <br>

I understand that the main barrier is the prism housing that often juts out too far. So maybe what I'm asking is which bodies have the smallest prism housing? Or which bodies have prisms housings that can be filed off without doing any intrinsic damage? <br>

On the Mirex site, it states that compatible bodies are: </p>

<ul>

<li>M42x1 </li>

<li> Canon EOS </li>

<li> Sony - Minolta </li>

<li> Pentax K </li>

</ul>

<p>My main reason for getting the system would be rises, so I assume a large prism housing would be the main concern. <br>

I'm also considering the Zork system, since I rarely use tilts. They state a compatibility with most Canon professional and some Nikon professional camera bodies (D3 and D3x digital. <br>

Would anyone know if the Zork or the Mirex are better at clearing prism housings?<br>

My preference for a body would be an older full frame sensor model, but that's not essential. (I have Mamiya M645 lenses, by the way).<br>

Thanks very much in advance,</p>

<p>Evan, It is not the prism housing that is the problem, it is the onboard flash housing projecting over the lens mount that can prevent full use of an adapter. I bought a second-hand Canon 5D for my Zork adapter and Pentax 645 lenses because it (along with the 5D MII and the 1D series) has no onboard flash and so minimal projection over the lens. Not sure what other dSLRs have this advantage. </p>

<p>Being full frame gives the real benefit of having my 35mm lens (the widest Pentax 645 made I think) work like a wide angle lens instead of as a normal lens if it was mounted on an APS-C sized dSLR. I have since got a 5D MII and should have done that from the beginning because of the significant advantages of Live View.</p>

<p>As Mr. Barnes says: pop-up flash housing and live view (or equivalent) are the two key things to watch for.<br>

<br />I use a Mirex and a Zoerk on a 5Dii, it's perfectly functional. On a 40D, the Zoerk couldn't be used at all, and the Mirex wasn't fully adjustable.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Hi Thakurdalip,<br>

Happy 2011! I like the Zoerk, though it is a bit unwieldy to use because of the fine-tune screw that is very very long. But it allows for very precise movements. Note my Zoerk is only a shift adapter, and if you buy/order one, I would get the version that has a tripod foot added to the adapter - that way your lens stays in one place, and you're really only moving the camera sensor, which is very effective for photo stitching.</p>

<p>The Mirex is a shift AND tilt adapter, and is very handy if you like to use tilt to change your focus plane. Some of the functionality of the Mirex is a bit stiff, but you get used to it. It is a very well-made piece of machinery.</p>

<p>Regarding your D700, since you have a built-in flash, the housing will likely obstruct the vertical shift when shooting landscape format. Vertical shift is usually the most useful movement for shooting architecture. But, if you shoot portrait format, than the flash housing will be on the left or right side of the shift mechanism and you should be OK.</p>

<p>Live view, or the Nikon equivalent, is of paramount importance with either of these adapters.<br>

Good luck!</p>