Nikon D3S golf shot of the year

nishnishant

<p>What a great shot! I particularly like Woods' rather grim expression. Not to hijack the thread, but it reminds of one early morning (still almost dark, and me with a mere D200 at my disposal, so no high ISO magic at the time) out shooting a field event, where master hunting dogs - as part of the test - have to retrieve a just-shot game bird. Let's just say I'm really glad that the gunners at these events know when to pull their shots!</p><div>00XQ3b-287167584.jpg.c7600b5be683e3039a1b2052b84281e0.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks God it was a short chip, and the ball hit the camera. If not, we could be talking about a photog who has lost one eye...<br /> I think it`s a great photo. All that people looking at the camera, expecting something unavoidable.<br>

--------<br>

Matt, another great pic!</p>

<p>Matt, what kind of bird is that? I see a few of those (and hens) on my Saturday morning bike rides. They make alike an "Aaaawwkkk... Aaaawwkkk... Aaaawwkkk... Aaaawwkkk... " sound when they take off. A burst of wing flaps, glide, then another burst of wing flaps.<br /><br /></p>

<p>Sheldon: that's a Blue Back Pheasant, which is a minor variation on the more common Ringneck Pheasant. And yes the roosters (the males) do often let loose with a cackle like that. Think of them as fancy chickens that can fly at 30mph. And, of course, they're very tasty! They're Asian birds, but were introduced into Europe and the Americas a long time ago. In some places, there are large permanent populations (the ringneck is South Dakota's state bird ... but mostly because the people who flock there to hunt the during the fall season are a big part of the local economy).</p>

<p>To me this is a fake shot. The ball would have travelled well beyond the photographers position, by the time Tiger reaches this stance. Furthermore, no one will be allowed to stand in the players line of attack.<br>

Why is there no video available. Tiger Woods is by far the most filmed golf player ever. No video, no photo.....</p>

<p>Arthur - he wasn't in the line of shot, Riger skewed it, the photographer was behind the rope along with the rest of the crowd. I think the shot is genuine - backed up by reporting on the BBC that alludes to the incident happening at about 10.30am on Saturday with a comment to make sure photographers keep back for his next attempt.</p>

<p>The guy in fancy dress is done up as Jimenex I think - there were plenty of McIlroy wigs - but the cigar is the clue.</p>

<p>Martin</p>

<p>Wrong. Photographers get in this position at golf tournaments all the time. They don't expect the player to "chunk" it right at them which is what happened here. It's a flubbed chip shot which means the ball was traveling relatively slow, which is why Woods is facing the target rather than in a typical "pose". The guy on the right is classic. </p>

<p>Robert: don't go out with <em>anybody</em>, ever, if that's a worry. It happens. Of course, you're far more likely to be hurt driving your car to a golf tournament or a sunrise landscape shoot (with a camera) than you are to catch some bird shot pellets while out shooting dinner (with a shotgun).</p>