Shutter count

jeb_jones

<p>B&H came thru for me in a very satisfying way. They gave me the option of returning the camera for another. They stated that cameras are, of course, tested at Nikon, but not usually to this extent. I thanked them, stated that I was happy with the camera's performance and am keeping it. Thanks to all of for your input!</p>

<p>Mark; I bought a new car and it had 152 miles on it.<br /> <strong>Cars CAN and are sold as new with this number of miles; so are cameras too.</strong><br /> <br /> All the cars at the original order dealership were physically driven to the dealer that bought them; thus all had at least 90 miles on them; the entire lot was like this.<br /> <br /> I test drove about 10 new cars and put about 3 miles on each; before buying my car.<br /> <br /> New in cars can mean never titled; it really is not about miles; unless folks know a Federal code:.<br /> <br /> A Federal code here mentions 300 miles:</p>

<p>http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode49/usc_sec_49_00032705----000-.html</p>

<p><em>For purposes of subparagraph (A), the term “new motor vehicle” means any motor vehicle driven with no more than the limited use necessary in moving, transporting, or road testing such vehicle prior to delivery from the vehicle manufacturer to a dealer, but in no event shall the odometer reading of such vehicle exceed 300 miles. </em><br /><br /> Probably a law like this would be good for cameras too; since so many worry warts worry about shutter clicks!<br>

About every new camera have seen; or even copy machine has its counter not at zero. My dads 1961 Plymouth he bought in Detroit when the first came out had about 100 miles on it when he drove it home; thus it had about 80 miles on it when he bought it.<br>

A giant 230 volt copy machine we uncrated as new had a few hundred square feet on it when we opened it up; now it has about 1 million.</p>

<p>If the factory can reset that cameras counter to zero after testing to please worry warts; so too can a hacker or crummy dealership; or flakey repair shop if the hack gets known.</p>

<p>Thus a future concern is the lay crowd worships clicks;and thus hackers play into their "need" for low clicks; by lowering the key variable many newcomers seem to worship today as holy.</p>

<p>We are in uncharted waters; look at how many fake memory cards are floating around on Ebay.</p>

<p>Look at how much software is hacked and used for free</p>

<p>I wonder if the next adventure is luring folks with used dlsr bodies on Ebay is with a "rolled back" shutter click; since the bulk of folks on this thread worship the low numbers as holy.</p>

<p>This would be used sellers dream; you buy a camera ; use it for months; roll back the counter to zero; and shoot again so the clicks match what the dents and wear are! Just like a 1960's car!</p>

<p> The real question is if and when the rollback hack gets known and used as a weapon. Since so many folks worship clicks as a great parameter; it is bound to vary used item pricing. A hacker has a price motive to roll the clicks back; you will pay him more cash!</p>

<p> Maybe these hacks will never surface; if they do it will be interesting</p>

<p>Thank you all for putting me straight! I knew there was a legal mileage limit on what might be construed by a dealership as new.It's a long time since I heard of a car being driven to a dealership as part of the distribution practice; in my neck of the woods they all come in on giant car loaders - 20 at a time!. And if you order a Bugatti Veyron, rather than a Toyota Camry, it comes on it's own low loader, not driven 200 miles by some young speed merchant from the depot. I guess I just wouldn't be happy with anything that's been "driven" before and that applies equally to cameras, cars and my Calvin Kleins. I have no doubt though that the country is full of 13 1/2 year old hackers who can unlock the software mysteries of Iphones, cars and cameras in 10 minutes.........</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Read this thread a week or two ago and checked my cameras and discovered a discrepancy that lead to a small mystery.<br>

Bought D50 from J&R NYC, Image 0001 when viewed through OS X Preview shows 13 shutter actuations. No problem.<br>

Bought D90 from Amazon, Image 0001 when viewed through OS X Preview shows 1 shutter actuation. Cool.<br>

Just for kicks, I checked the last image I shot for each camera.<br>

D50<br>

The last image shot was actuation 11,517. The file image number was 11,258. The difference: 259.<br>

D90<br>

The last image shot was actuation 3115. The file image number is 2593. Difference: 522.</p>

<p>Big whoop right? Whatever causes the actuations to jump ahead (a couple file number resets at the beginning of ownership), the D50 seemed about right, but the D90 did not. I had the file numbering option on from the beginning. So what accounts for the drift? The easiest way I found was to check the file name and image number at the beginning and end of a large group of images shot at once. Yesterday, I shot a 1-year old's birthday party. The difference in file name number and image number (in OS X Preview) was 516. The last image shot shows a difference of 522. I found a range of 4 images with consecutive file name numbers, but the image number in Preview jumped 2 digits between each file number.</p>

<p>What causes the file number to count consecutively and the image number in the EXIF data to jump by two at times? The camera was fine, not bumped, not too warm, all the images shot at that time were with the same camera settings, camera was not turned off and on, etc. I download my images through Adobe bridge with a USB cable.</p>

<p>I'd prefer my image numbers to run consecutively, but if they don't no big deal. I am now skeptical of the EXIF data concerning image numbers at least when viewed through Preview. For now, I prefer the system as is with the folder dated the day of the shoot and consecutive image numbers. If anyone has different ways of checking image numbers, I will send you a sample image and you can check the numbers. Let me know.</p>