First-time sports shoot, lacrosse; lens advice?

funcrunch

<p>I may have the opportunity to shoot a collegiate lacrosse game in a few weeks. I have never shot a sports event before, unless laser tag counts. :-) The client, who I've worked with before, is aware of this. He will be a referee for the game and wants to hire me mostly to shoot him.</p>

<p>I have a Canon 5D Mk II but my longest EF lens is an 85mm. (I have a 50-150 Sigma for my 40D, but I'd rather use the 5D, and that zoom likely wouldn't be long enough anyway.) Fortunately I live near a well-stocked rental store (Calumet). What glass should I rent? 300? 400? Monopod? Any other advice?</p>

<p>i shoot lacrosse often, and can not do without my 70-200 f2.8 and 400 f2.8. however, a 300 f4 will work as well if the others are too pricey, and definately use a monopod. if you use a 400 you better practice, it will be very different for you i'm sure. good luck.</p>

<div>00XOlp-286051684.jpg.b77a61ba6cbcdcb6b422ec0cec0e3884.jpg</div>

<p>Fixed length is nice for longer distance - but what about when the action is 10 feet away from you?</p>

<p>70-200 f2.8 would be my choice - if I only had one body. If I had 2 bodies - 1 would be the 400mm f4 and 2nd would be a smaller zoom.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I don't shoot Lacrosse, but I do shoot field sports.<br>

I would get permission to roam the sideline and use a 24 - 70/2.8 on the 5D and a 70 to 200/2.8 on the 40D. IMO the 40D is quite OK for field Sports, I don't understand your hesitation. I have used a 5D MkII for Sports also.<br>

Personally, I would not have a monopod on the 40D with the 70 to 200 loaded if I were only shooting one game - but yes hire a monopod - it is worth it to take the weight.<br>

I bolt the tripod ring direct onto the monopod and let the lens be loose in it and I usually have the 70 to 200 (on the monopod) slung on my right wrist and the second camera slung in front on my neck. That way I can drop the 70 to 200 easily for the closer shot.<br>

You might not like this effect on the right wrist and anyway as the Referee is the main action you desire to capture you will have more time to anticipate the shot and change cameras, as he will move slower than the play.</p>

<p>If you don’t like the idea of roaming, but favour a static position: I would still use two cameras and set myself a little back, using the 70 to 200/2.8 of the 40D (hand held) and the 400/2.8 on the 5DMkII – with a monopod – I would take a ground sheet upon which to lay the camera I was not using.<br>

The 400/4 might tempt you: I have not used this lens - but I have read some negative opinions – if you choose a 400 and there is not much difference in hire fee the 400/2.8 is magic, (pure magic) and yes practice first.</p>

<p>I can see limitation using only one Camera + one Prime Lens.<br>

If you choose to use only one camera, then I think the 70 to 200/2.8 is the best option, for either camera.<br>

But I do suggest you think about where you will be positioned as I am not all that certain the 5DMkII is the best choice - you might just need the equivalent 112 to 320 coverage the 40D provides.</p>

<p>WW </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks everyone for your advice so far, very helpful. I'm waiting to hear back from my client on field access details. What do you think about bringing my 40D with the Sigma 50-150, and renting a 300 or 400 (and monopod) for my 5D? Calumet rental prices for Canon primes range from $33 for a 300 f/4 to $100 for a 400 f/2.8.</p>

<p>My own kit is all 2.8 or wider but that's because I shoot mostly indoors at dark clubs and such; I figure it's good chance of being a sunny day this time of year but even if it's overcast outdoors I should be able to get away with f/4? The client said he'd pay for the rental but he might balk at $100. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Calumet rental prices for Canon primes range from $33 for a <strong><em>300 f/4</em></strong> to <em>$100 for a <strong>400 f/2.8</strong></em><strong> .</strong> . .I figure it's good chance of being a sunny day this time of year but even if it's overcast outdoors I should be able to get away with f/4? The client said he'd pay for the rental but he might balk at $100"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I am confused.<br>

Are you asking <em>"will I be able to get away with the 300/4 on my 5D as opposed to the 400/2.8 on my 5D?" </em>. . . my answer is yes – IN REGARD TO THE MAX APERTURE, F/4 should be fine for sport in daylight on a 5D MkII, even in overcast conditions.<br>

BUT, given the added information about the client paying the hiring fees: In preference to hiring the <strong><em>300/4:</em></strong> I suggest you rent the 400/4 (which you did not list in the rental prices).<br>

I make this comment in regard to FOCAL LENGTH and FoV, if you are using TWO cameras: IMO, the difference between 400mm on the 5DMkII and the 150mm on the 40D will be more useful than using a 300mm lens on the 5DMkII whilst having 150mm on the 40D.<br>

This is the reason why I didn't mention the 300mm lens, at all, in my previous comments.</p>

<p>WW</p>