What happened?

davewittemann

<p>Hello all,<br />I have a very nice and newish Mamiya RB 67pro sd. The attached image shows what happens to my first frame on MOST rolls. Not all, but most. Am I not advancing the film hard enough? The counter window is clear with no red triangle in the corner. So I have no clue what is happening. But I bet one or two of you do.<br />Thanks for your help,<br />Dave</p>

<p>Are you left with a bunch of unexposed film at the end of the roll? If so, it is probably just an alignment issue. Hasselblad and Kiev backs do this a lot as well. Another problem would be when there are irregularly spaced or overlapping frames. I think over time their transport systems just get tired and decide not to advance the film enough so that the first frame is in the right place. It is usually solved by a tune-up. You could also try a test roll where you advance a bit past or a bit less than the start mark and see how that goes. I know I have one hasselblad back that just likes the start mark a 1/4 turn further than the other backs, even after CLA's. </p>

<p>It looks like that textured area at the left of your photo is from the tape that attaches the film to the paper backing.<br>

It looks very much like you didn't align the start mark on the backing to the index mark on the film back. Most (all?) 120 films these days use a double ended arrow the width of the backing paper.<br>

If the spacing *between* all of the frames looks good and uniform, this is a likely cause.</p>

<p>If you don't mind burning a roll of film here is something to try. I have checked the spacing on a Hasselblad before by simply loading a roll of film and then removing the lens. You then fire the camera and while the doors are open exposing the film plane you reach in with a sharpie ( marker ) pen and draw around the frame of the magazine onto the film. Then cycle it to the next frame and do it again. Afterwards you can remove the film and see the exact spacing you have on the film itself. Perhaps that can help you solve the problem.</p>