My New 320 Megapixel Camera

jp bleibtreu

<p>I just got a new camera last week and though I would share some pictures of it, and taken with it. It uses a 135mm Schneider Xenar and two of the images below are taken on Kodak Portra 160 VC 4x5 while the other (with white borders) is a scan of the beautiful Fuji FP100c45.</p>

<div>00XOoR-286097584.jpg.ff78d4d962b158fdd4df57e754cfe6a0.jpg</div>

<p>William Littman of <cite>www.<strong>littman</strong>45single.com</cite> did the build and conversion. It was his recommendation to put the Xenar on there and I really like the combination of sharpness and warm feeling it brings to portraits. The conversion as a whole is completely immaculate, there is no excess glue or burred edges on anything. I am impressed with the sophistication of the design and how accurate the focusing is. Also, like with a Leica not only is the rangefinder customized for the larger format but the frame lines adjust and fairly represent where the film edges are. As you can easily see on the Fuji-roid there was no cropping. On the other two the only part cropped out is the black edges which are concealed by the Imacons holder. I did a considerable amount of research on these forums and elsewhere about the myriad options for Polaroid -> 4x5 conversions before deciding to go with him; and after receiving it and shooting with it I could not be more certain of that decision.<cite><br /></cite></p>

<p>I use an Imacon and scan at full resolution in 16 rbg. I think it may be a bit less than 320 MP but there are drum scanners that will do 4000 dpi which is the calculation the title is based on. I highly recommend shooting large format and scanning it for any variety of output. The lab I use (www.hollandphoto.com) has a Chromira printer that prints as large as Kodak Endura's 50" wide rolls and my favorite: the 40" Fujfilex. Large format color negs printed well on flex look like they are in 3D; like looking through a window. I use this workflow on all my color film and even some black and white. I shoot from 35mm up to 8x10 and almost all the B/W is printed optically in the darkroom. 35mm and 120 I scan on a nikon coolpix 9000 and have settings for each of the different emulsions I use. The 4x5 is scanned on the Imacon and since I don't do any digital output of the 8x10 I will just scan the contact print ( fiber) on a flatbed to generate small files for promotional prints or web. Also as a side note on much of my B/W I use the PMK Pyro as the developer which is available from the Photographers Formulary. Everything people say about it is true... and then some.</p>

<p>Just curious JP, how big is the actual image? It looks to me as if a standard double-darkslide is fitted crosswise to the frame. Is that correct?</p>

<p>In any case the maximum image size you can get on so-called 5" x 4" is about 4.75 by 3.75 inches, and while it's not a big difference linearly, it makes quite a difference to the area. To be pedantic this "only" gives you 285 Megapixels @ 4000ppi. And to be even more pedantic, I doubt that any large format scanner/film/camera lens combination has a true optical resolution of 2000 line pairs per inch, meaning most of those pixels are empty of useful image information. Still, your heading got our attention!</p>

<p>Very Nice!</p>

<p>I just built my 20th camera. I find using the original 127mm ysarex lens is the best option. I have made other models with 135mm sironar-n lenses, but It got annoying to screw and unscrew the front element of the lens everytime you wanted to use the camera.<br>

I used to make the camera fitted with a horseman 4x5 graflok back, but switched to the spring back from the graflex 4x5. I hardly used the graflok option on the back. The spring back is lighter, thinner, and overall size was much smaller then any other back. to insert film holders in a spring back is a lot smoother and easier to do with one hand.</p><div>00XRJB-288223584.jpg.a323094463e0f882f6e5549c173e4fc8.jpg</div>

<p>Hello guys, my name is Sean Riva. I have owned many Littman 4x5's and am very pleased to say that his newist version with all the new elements makes it my favorite camera ever. I love the fact that I go out into the field and come back with high detail/razor sharp images with ease. The upgraded front element makes all the difference because not only do you know the strength of it is better for never loosing focus but, you can check it in the field and make adjustments if need be. I have never had to make an adjustment but, its great to know I can and can verify it after a 20 mile hike in. This camera has made my vision come true. There is no other camera that can say or do that in the way I needed. This is a work of art and anyone who does not have one should really consider getting one however they can.</p>

• 6 months later...

<p>Here's a video of one of Spains top photographers using one of these as well. You can can see the beautiful work that is made possible by the use of one of these cameras here:<a href="http://vimeo.com/19498941" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/19498941</a><br>

I am not fluent in Spanish but I imagine part of what he talks about has to do with how elegant, functional, robust and fast these cameras are to use. I also shoot much of my portrait work on an 8x10 and I have to say, large format is absurdly simple and quick with the Littman 45.</p>