85 1.4D Frontfocus on D700 needing +20 Fine Tune

vito_chen

<p>I just got a new D700 and a new 24-70. The 24-70 seems to focus well on the D700. However, my one year old 85 1.4D is always frontfocus on the D700 while the 85 1.4D could focus very well on my old D80. I tried the AF fine tune on D700, it seems 85 1.4D needs +22 fine tune, but only +20 is available. Since I even tried the 16-85 DX on the D700 and it could focus well, I don't know if it is the lens' problem or the camera's problem. My assumption is my D700 may just not work well on the D type lenses. Any ideas?</p>

<p>I kept my test standard consistent. AF-S, shallow DOF, fastest aperture, and good light. That’s why I found my other lenses work well on the D700. Since 85 1.4D is my only non AF-S lens, I have to suspect it is the in body motor causing the problem.<br>

</p>

<p>i wish i could help, but have no ideas, really. your assumption about the D700 not working well with D lenses is without foundation, however, in my experience. i use a D700 and a couple of months ago purchased the 85/1.4 nikkor, and i have not witnessed any front-focus problems. neither have i had any issues with non-D lenses. i also have the 24-70/2.8, and have no issues with that one, either. if you have additional non-AFS lenses, you may wish to test them with your D700 as well, to determine whether your D700 needs to be checked out.</p>

<p>Thank you for your idea, Will. I actually almost give up here. I don't really even want to buy another non-AFS lens, and consider sell the 85 1.4D if possible. To test these out of focus issue really gives me a lot of headaches. I may just be better off if I stop testing those AF issue. Rather, I should enjoy more fun by just taking more good pictures and feel good about my current gear. Even I just got my D700 a week ago, and I am eligible to exchange a new one for free. There will be just no much time wasting on the shipping, and I am not sure if the new one will be perfect for all my lenses. But at the same time, I am still not feeling 100% comfortable on my current D700. Such a dilemma!<br>

</p>

<p>Well later lenses than D lenses are actually also D type lenses.<br>

"D" just gives distance info to the body.<br>

AFS lenses should work just fine on the D700.<br>

I would send the lens and body in to Nikon for service.<br>

Such a nice lens should work properly.<br>

Call ahead if you should send in other lenses with the body as well.</p>

<p>"...AF-S, shallow DOF,..." How much shallow DOF are you expecting your camera and lens to get extreme focus on? One suggestion: focus on your subject, flip the little S C M switch to M -- and you will no longer have a front-focus issue. (Works nearly every time, save for action shots.)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Vito,<br>

Just out of curiosity : What AF mode / how many AF Focussing points do you use when testing this ? <br>

I find it easier more predictable to use AF with this lens, when just using a single ( center) foccussing point because of the shallow DOF .... </p>

<p>I'm wondering if you could post an example of a result which suggests to you that focus fine tune is necessary.</p>

<p>I think if it's real, you should just send your camera and lens to Nikon to be adjusted or repaired. The 85/1.4D should focus very, very accurately on modern FX DSLR cameras - at least that has been my experience. One of the best.</p>

<p>If it's any help, my D700 has always focused extremely well with all lenses, AF-S, AFD, and plain old AF. Even with ugly old first generation AF Nikkors and 3rd party lenses. The awful matrix metering is another story altogether!</p>

<p>What happens with many wide aperture lenses is that the point of optimum focus shifts slightly on stopping down, and I suspect this is the effect you're seeing with your 85mm f/1.4. Are you doing your tests with the camera fixed on a tripod and with a fixed subject? Because it's easy to rock the camera in and out of focus with such a shallow DOF handheld. Also check your AF points setting. Anything other than a fixed single central AF point can lead to jittery and unreliable focusing IME. Also, see if the AF confirmation light in MF mode agrees with the autofocus setting. If not, there might well be some backlash or hysteresis in the mechanical AF drive.</p>

<p>Finally, download and follow this PDF file before you fire off at Nikon:<br>

<a href="http://focustestchart.com/focus10.pdf">http://focustestchart.com/focus10.pdf</a></p>

<p> </p>