nikkor 35 mm 2.0 versus nikkor 35 mm 1.4

kai_schmalbruch

I have the 35mm/f1.4 AI-S. It was a fine lens when I got it back in 1987 but its design is somewhat dated by now. I bought it because I wanted a wide angle for indoor existing-light type photography.

If you must have f1.4, the choice is simple. Otherwise, you are better off with the 35mm/f2, especially w/ AF and electronics, it works much better with modern AF and digital bodies. I would imagine that the f2 version will perform better around f8 or so. If you mainly use it in that middle to smaller aperture range, IMO you are better off w/ the f2. The fact that it is cheaper doesn't hurt.

The March 1967 Modern photography test of the "new" 35mm F2 was "Excellent" in the Center from F2 to F16; Acceptable at the edge @F2 and F2.8; and excellent form F4 to f16 at the edges. The 35mm F2 I picked up for 40 dollars in 1980 is a gem; and yields fine photos. I used it on a New Zealand trip a decade ago and used Ektar 25 print film; several shots at F5.6 show great detail.<BR><BR>The F1.4 is a real gem too; and easier to focus with manual focus cameras. The test test I saw on it 2 decades ago was all excellents! it does have a floating lens group; and should be better than the F2 when used at close distances.

The manual focus 35 f/2 has the best bokeh of the three.

Actually, when you think of Nikon lenses with good bokeh, the only ones that come to mind are the 105 f/2.5, 85 mm f/1.4 AF-D, 85 mm f/1.8 manual focus, 35 f/2 manual focus and 180 mm f/2.8.

Anyway, bokeh aside, I much prefer the 35 mm f/1.4 lens. Brigher viewfinder. Great at f/2.8. Fantastic at f/4 to f/5.6. Solid (for its speed at f/1.4, and the best thing around in Nikon hardware at f/2).

The f/1.4 has a slight field curvature with close subjects, but that can actually produce a 3D effect so the subject in the center floats on the film. Very effective.

The f/1.4, like the legendary 105 f/2.5; has a lot of life in its shots. I suspect that this is due to a pleasing color rendition in addition to sharpness, which my test slides show very little difference of, surprisingly. You shouldn't have any complaints with the manual focus lens from f/4 and smaller apertures. The photos, though, seem much more impressive with the f/1.4. Maybe mine is simply a "good one."

Be wary, though. I lot picked the best of three f/1.4's from B&H, just like I did with my 28 f/2.

I don't care for the auto focus f/2, since I prefer manual focus, and the f/1.4 is an exceptional (at least mine) lens. But the auto focus lens has tons of fans. As I'm sure that you will soon here from.

I've not used the 1.4, but own the f2 (it's a pre-ai model, but with ai cosmetics and multicoating), and it's a gem -- sharp enough wide open, very sharp by f4, and absolutely beautiful bokeh and tonal gradation. It's the best 35mm lens I've owned, and I've owned a bunch, including a Leica 35mm Summicron. And it's much better than the 35mm f2 AF that I owned, which produced rather uninteresting (though sharp) pics.

As I only have one of the two (the f1.4, MF), I can't compare those two. I can only report that I'm very happy with the results from the f1.4. I haven't done any scientific or even systematic testing, simply used it a lot in various situations, from people, incl. very low light, to landscapes, and the results are typically better than I expected them, with very good resolution and sharpness, good contrast etc. My main reasons to choose the f1.4 vs. the f2 were that sometimes I do want to take pictures in very low light situations (I don't even own a flash), and obviously the viewfinder is a bit brighter when looking through an f1.4 compared to an f2, and focusing an f1.4 is a bit more precise with an SLR.

Mechanically, I find the focus ring going a bit too soft for a MF lens (it nearly feels like an AF lens), and it already seems to have collected significant amounts of dust inside, which at some point will bring down the image quality. Another downside is its weight and size -- both are quite significant; this should obviously be better for the f2 version. The f2 version should also be cheaper. In theory an f2 lens can be designed better than an f1.4 lens; typically you need fewer lenses etc., but it depends whether the manufacturer did invest the same effort in both.

• 4 years later...
Hmmm...This is a tough one. I own and use both. As one poster said, the resolution in the F1.4 is great. However, the contrast in the F2 version is really great. For both near to far shots where details have to be there for publication, I believe the f1.4 has the edge over the F2. At least in my opinion. I took a couple of landscape shots a couple of weekends ago with the F1.4 For sure the CRC in that lens does a very, very good job. I just wish the F2 had CRC also because due to the weight of the F1.4, I prefer to carry the F2.

• 1 year later...
I bought a mint 35mm f2 AI for $150 recently (prices are going up!). A mint 35mm f1.4 is nearly $600 now. I highly doubt ANYONE could argue that the f1.4 version is 4 times better than the f2 version. And since I shoot mainly at f5.6 to f11, the f1.4 version would be a complete waste of money. I owned the 85mm f1.4 AIS for a short time as well, and though it is amazingly sharp it is huge and heavy and not a good walkaround lens. Great for jobs where you NEED to shoot at f1.4, but otherwise, buy the slower version.